Ford 2120 Lewis Equipment Backhoe and FEL slow weak

/ Ford 2120 Lewis Equipment Backhoe and FEL slow weak #1  

marine1983

Tractor
ford 2120
Hi,

I have just bought a Ford 2120 tractor that came complete with a Lewis equipment backhoe and FEL. The backhoe is a 300 series. Im not sure about the FEL. It seems to have been fitted to spec to the tractor.

I have used the backhoe for the first time this weekend. The hoe is being ran off the tractors hydraulics. On inspection the hoe should be ran off its own tank with a PTO pump.

I have a couple of questions really. The backhoe has very little lifting power. If the bucket is full I can only just lift it off the floor. I assume the Boom is what is used for this action. The arm has no problem in shifting the same weight. So it indicates that the boom ram has a problem perhaps?

I have noticed there is a slight leak around all the seals on the backhoe rams. Will this cause such a loss in assumed lifting capability?

I have checked the hydraulic fluid all seem to be at correct levels and looks clean. I'm going to change the filter could this help?

Would buying a PTO pump help the backhoe? As this is what that hoe was originally meant to use.

My other concern is that it may be due to the tractor per se. It also has a FEL attached. This also struggles to lift off the ground when the bucket is full. So the problem may be with the tractor and not the attached equipment.

This is my first tractor, Im mechanically minded but I have no idea on where to start and what to check/lookout for?

Any help is very appreciated.

/ Ford 2120 Lewis Equipment Backhoe and FEL slow weak #2  
You could start by installing a hyd gage and testing the relief pressures on the FEL, and BH valve.

Low power is the result of pressure or leakage. GPM determines the speed of operation.

There is another check that can be made but you need a flow meter and a hyd pressure gage and a needle valve and relief valve. The flow meter and pressure gage will test the pumps ability for GPM's, and pressure.

Fix any leaks first and then the pump will reflect the potential pressure, and if the pump is not performing, then it is time for a replacement.

/ Ford 2120 Lewis Equipment Backhoe and FEL slow weak
Thanks for getting back so quick. Ok I will find and fix the leaks. Though there are no leaks on the FEL, and it has trouble lifting also. So may indicate a pump problem? I will do some more reading on how to check pressures etc.

/ Ford 2120 Lewis Equipment Backhoe and FEL slow weak #4  
You can use the hyd gage in either of two ways, permanent , where you mount the gage in a convenient spot for constant viewing. Install the gage in a tee in the IN port of the FEL valve.

or

Portable test rig like these. Use matching QD for the test rig.

Attachments

• 3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set1.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 202
  • 3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    3000 psi hyd test gage set.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 161