JD301A

/ JD301A #1  

Dieselfixer

Tractor
John Deere, Massey Furguson
Hi All
Trying to help a farmer out with his John Deere 301A. He changed the hydraulic pump and now nothing works. No FEL and tractor won't move. He said if he adds oil to the hyd reservoir the oil comes out the dipstick tube and the reservoir won't stay full. Any Ideas?

/ JD301A #2  
Was the pump the same as he took out??

Is the rotation proper for this pump??

/ JD301A
Thanks For the reply. I asked him about the pump andhe said it is the same as the old one but he had o give the old one as a core so he has to go by what they told him. The pump was replaced because of this problem but the new pump made no difference. I asked him if he cleaned the screen at the bottom of the trans and he did not. Cleaned it tonite and it was loaded with crap. He put the screen back in and refilled the oil but still nothing, no movement of the fel or transmission.

/ JD301A #4  
The pump needs to be bled before he burns it up. The 301a is a closed center system. If you have the service manual it will tell you which bolt on the pump to pull to bleed it. Also did he just do the screen, the filter, or both? Otherwise with the tractor off pull the line in(on the left side of the tractor as you are facing forward.) And fill it with hyd oil and bump the starter until the fluid disappears. Put the line in into a bucket and make sure you get fluid out of it when you bump the key. The tractor has an OC charge pump that feeds fluid through the trans for lube, and up to the main pump. As long as you get fluid out of the input line and the pump fills with hyd oil, reconnect everything, start the tractor, and work the steering and loader controls to clear the air and they should start working. If you don't get much fluid out of the inlet line the charge pump may be bad.

/ JD301A
Thanks Medic. I passed this info to him. I'm sure he did none of this when he changed the pump. I asked him if he put any oil in the pump when he installed it and he said he did but I figure only in the pump and not filling the lines.

/ JD301A #6  
If he doesn't already have 1 I recommend getting a service manual. They're usually $35 for an e-copy to download and print off. It covers the entire tractor and most of the troubleshooting to be done.

/ JD301A
What is involved in changing the pump in the trans? Does the tractor have to be split or is the pump accesable thru the top cover? Thanks for your help with this. I do a lot of work on Massey Furguson, Caterpillar's & John Deere dozers but not much on Deere farm tractors.

/ JD301A #8  
Have to split the tractor to get to it. Can test it without splitting it with the right tools/adapters.