Leaking gland seal

/ Leaking gland seal #1  

spidersweb

Tractor
B1550 hst
I have a 1640 loader on a 1550 hst. The one cylinder leaks at the gland seal. Oil pours out when used. This is a bucket cylinder. ??????

/ Leaking gland seal #2  
I have a 1640 loader on a 1550 hst. The one cylinder leaks at the gland seal. Oil pours out when used. This is a bucket cylinder. ??????

Okay? What do you need to know? Those parts are readily available, and replacing the seals in that cylinder is not that tough of a job.

Brian

/ Leaking gland seal
Have replaced the seal twice, Still leaks like a sieve.

/ Leaking gland seal #4  
Then you need to check the complete shaft for imperfections. There may be a bur that is tearing your seals.

Last edited:
   / Leaking gland seal #6  
Spidersweb,

other than putting a seal in backwards or torn, there is several conditions you need to examine for......fit & finish & cracks in gland

You'll need to pull it apart anyways, so make sure that all seal areas (inside the gland and oring spot in cyl barrel) are polished and smooth (finish), check to make sure the gland is reasonably tight and not egged out (fit)

Obviously the rod needs to be in almost perfect condition too, any marks that your fingernail will feel the seal will feel also

Like Brain55 said a bent rod is a no-no too

/ Leaking gland seal
Well, Went to a Kubota dealer and they wanted to sell me a new cylinder at the tune of $386.95. There was a guy looking at a new tractor and on my way out he told me about a shop that rebuilds them. Its a back door barn shop. So with nothing to lose off I went. Tod took one look at it and showed me the problem. The end of the barrel is flaired out. He said this typical of this design of cylinder. I need to replace the barrel or get a replacement cylinder. Tod also told me there many after market cylinder's that better than factory.

Thank You for all the help..

David.

/ Leaking gland seal #8  
Can you get a picture of that?

/ Leaking gland seal
Its not the shaft thats leaking, Leaks at the collar that slides into the barrel.

/ Leaking gland seal #10  
Its not the shaft thats leaking, Leaks at the collar that slides into the barrel.

I have to say I have never seen this, and I worked in a Kubota dealer for 12 years while that was probably the most popular loader. I can see how it could happen though.

Brian