Hyd motor ID

/ Hyd motor ID #11  
Mudd,
I do not know if Rexroth referenced the displacement in the serial number. I still suspect that the name tag is an OEM name plate since Rexroth always has their name on it. Could also be a Eaton/Vickers or Parker, etc.

You can figure displacement on these by turning it into a pump. Connect a line to one of the work ports. Place the other end of this line into a container of oil. It works best if this container is even with or above the motor inlet. Rotate the shaft 10 turns and measure how much oil you have have pumped. Divide this by 10 and have displacement per revolution.

/ Hyd motor ID
Why didnt I think of that!! A truely duh Moment. It will be next wkend before I can give it a try. Meantime, I am going to go over the schematics for the machine it came off of and see what I can learn. So far i have been going on information provided by the mechanical supervisors word for it. I trust the information he has provided. You also have me to thinking, Can this unit be used as a pump? I have a spare one laying around, there where 4 of these on the scraped equipment it came off of.

/ Hyd motor ID #13  
Typically piston motors do not work well as pumps. On pumps the inlet port is larger to allow the oil to fill the chambers with less restriction. As an example a 28 cc/rev pump has a #20 SAE inlet port and a #12 pressure port. I believe the timing on the port plates are also different from a motor to a pump.

NOTE: You must connect the case drain port directly to tank on piston pumps and motors. They want less than 20 PSI on this line to prevent shaft seal failure. Case must be kept full of oil to lubricate the bearings.

/ Hyd motor ID
thanks for the tip on the case drain. I had already planned on a return line to tank. Looks like I will just keep the extra motors as spares unless I can find another use for them.

There is a new motor in box, I am going to look for more information there, if the label is still intact.

/ Hyd motor ID
Well figured out why I couldnt find anything on this motor. It is not a Rexroth as I had previously thought. The motor is a Poclain. The equipment it came off of has used Rexroth, Vickers, and now the Poclain motors. I have searched the Poclain site and havent found any way to identify this motor by the numbers I took off of the motor. So if anybody can help, here are the numbers again,
codice#7.003210001
serial# 1301569 028
data# w2311

/ Hyd motor ID #16  
Are you sure about being Poclain? Before I retired I worked a lot with Poclains and they were all radial piston motors, low speed high torque. What you have sure looks axial piston high speed low torque. Of course with all the consolidation over the past years Poclain could have bought up somebody I am not aware of and I no longer ave myoclonus contact list and I gave all my catalogs to my replacement.

/ Hyd motor ID
I am sure it is a Poclain. The one I have is a used one, but I went and looked at a new replacement motor that still had its stickers. What little info I have found suggests that its top rpm speed is 3600rpms, but I havent been able to figure out displacement. If 3600rpms is the top speed, it wont do what I need it to do ,so I have discontinued this built until I can get more info or can find a different motor. A friend is supposed to send me the spec sheet on this motor, but that was a wk ago and I still havent got it.

/ Hyd motor ID #18  
   / Hyd motor ID
Thanks for the links JJ. I reccond I must be dylexic, I have been to the Proclan site, but I cant make heads or tails of which motor is which.

Those mgg motors seem promising, but I already know of 2 others that have tried them and have been very disappointed in them. Comments from those guys suggest the shaft lenght is to short to allow for passing thru a bar mount and then attaching a sprocket. Not to mention the low torque numbers. I have searched the surplus center site and havent really found anything any better than what I already have for this particular purpose.

Oregon recommends a chain speed of 8000ftpermin for a .404 type chain. To determine chain speed, you use this formula. rpm x#teeth on sprocket x.067. My sprocket has 13pins or teeth. To get to the recommended 8000ftpermin, I need a shaft speed of 9184rpms. The only motors I know of capable of these kinds of speeds are the Parker f11s, and f12's. With cost of these motors around $2000, this sort of eliminates them from my budget. I have searched for 2 years for a used one, but they are hard to find. Minimum chain speeds are 3000ftpermin. I am thinking that this proclain motor is only rated for 3600rpms max which would give me a chain speed of 3135ftmin, not taking into account efficientcy losses. I have been told, but havent been able to verify, that this particular motor will turn 4600-4800 rpms, which would greatly improve chain speed, if this is true. Still not the numbers I am looking for, but better than nothing at this point.

It looks like to get the chain speed I desire, I have only 2 options. Buy a F11 motor, which I cant afford, or use a pulley and jackshaft system to double the speed at the saw. The pulley system also comes with risks. High speed pillowblock bearings are plenty expensive, and gearing up reduces available hp and torque. High speed on a jack shaft would also most likely require high speed balancing of the entire assembly, pulley, shaft. Also to consider are the lateral loads placed on the shaft material as it is being rotated into a piece of wood. What kind of material would be best to make the shaft out of.

One other option is to purchase a saw motor from one of the companies that sells processors. Sounds simple enough, but from what I have seen, they mostly use standard gear motors, throw a little extra oil at it, and live with the low chain speeds. I could be wrong about that, but I have looked at several, saw nothing special, and thought all of them cut to slow for my liking.

Since I have already built the saw mount, I might just hook it up, turn up the oil and see what happens. Motor might last and might not, but I think I will stand around the corner when I fire it up just in case. Whats the worse it could do, blow the seals out?

/ Hyd motor ID #20  
I have a hyd chain saw, and the motor on it is very small.

Have you considered a hand held chain saw like the lineman use for bucket work. I think they use about 3 to 7 GPM per min, at 1500 psi.

Some have a switch for Open Center or CC

Would this saw be to small for you?

Chain Saws