JD 90 cylinder

/ JD 90 cylinder #1  

lineman601

Tractor
JD 90 skid steer
I have a JD 90 cylinder that leaks and I can't seem to figure out how to get the end of the cylinder off. The piece with the notches turns but doesn't unscrew. The silver colored piece turns with the other piece. Any ideas how this comes apart? This cylinder is for the bucket tilt and is part # GG170-32875 the best I can tell from searching the net. Also does anybody know where I can get a cylinder if this one is not repairable? THANKS

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 141
   / JD 90 cylinder #2  
The gland should screw out. Any hydraulic shop should be able to repair the cyl. Sometimes it is necessary to cut the tube apart. If that's the case, it's not a big deal to make a new tube. If the rod and piston is ok, it can be reused. You can ask the shop to give you an estimate after they determine what it will take to repair it. Then you will be able to make an informed decision to repair or replace. At least with the professional repair, you will have a warranty . Good luck !

/ JD 90 cylinder #3  
Is there a slot on the side at that end?

/ JD 90 cylinder #4  
It looks likes it's been apart before, and someone used a pipewrench.

If you live near Zanesville, Oh. I'd suggest Hydro-Supply on Rt. 40, just east of Rt. 93. They are great, and really reasonable on prices.

/ JD 90 cylinder #5  
Lineman,

That outside ring needs to come off first (it keeps the aluminum gland head from coming out)....that's the easy part.....just use a punch or pipe wrench

then you need to use a slug off alum and tap (beat) the gland head back into the cyl about 1"...(you may need oxy/acet torch to heat up)....that will expose a round retaining wire......take wire out, then pull/beat out the rod assy out of the barrel

before you push back in the gland, make sure the rod assy is all the way out (internally the piston head should be touching the gland head) otherwise there will be a air pocket preventing you from slamming out the gland

be carefull not to mark the hyd rod with your hammer, and you'll need to check out the groove where the rod seal is very carefully (wiper is missing) it may be corroded or pitted under the seal (spin it in a lathe and polish it good)

/ JD 90 cylinder #6  
It's actually a good thing for the whole head to turn.....it shows the gland head is not rusted solid in the barrel

the punch and hammer is better to smack the retainer loose....you can prevent the gland assy from turning by hooking up hydraulics to the base end of the cyl and pressurize it, that will hold the gland while smacking it with the punch/hammer