7040 allis oil leak

/ 7040 allis oil leak #1  

stoneridgemb

Tractor
allis 7040
have a 7040 allis with power shift. oil is leaking from between the powershift housing and pump bolted to it. is there a gasket between them that can be changed or is this the pump that needs seals?

/ 7040 allis oil leak #2  
It's not a gasket,but O Rings. To stop the leak, you will need to remove all three pumps. The two you can see, and the one you don't see. The leak you have is is oil getting past the O ring on the back side of the transmission pump, which is within the case just ahead of the gear pump flange. To get to it is a sloppy job but really difficult. Just ahead of the pump stack is a steel plate bolted to the bottom of the main case with eight 3/8" bolts. When you remove this plate, you will get most of the 7 or so gallons of transmission fluid so a large pan is in order here. Once the plate is off, reach into the opening and remove the suction screen from the gerotor pump(it's only held by the friction of and O Ring and pulls off easily). Next put a pan under the left side differential filter and remove the outer filter cover. This can be a mess. There is a springloaded valve inside the can that should stop the rear housing hydraulic oil from entering the can once the filter is removed. You should get a quart or so of oil, and the flow should trickle to a stop, but if the valve plate bolt and nut have come apart over time(can happen from time to time) you get about 15 more gallons of oil in your pan in just a few seconds. The filter cover will require a good jerk to pull it out of the bore, so hang onto it and pull it out an inch or so to let the valve seat. If the oil flow doesn't slow and stop after a few seconds, slam the cover back in and prepare to drain the housing by removing the drain plugs. Next, remove all the line from the pumps and remove the piston pump, then the gear pump. The gerotor pump is bolted to the gear pump from the front side and comes out with it, along with the O Rings causing your leak.

/ 7040 allis oil leak #4  
Well, I suspected by the question that he needs to fix the leak, not just talk about it. I've done this same procedure more times than I care to count, and even though it's been many years since the last one, I still remember it well. That was a fairly common leak on 7000 and 8000 series tractors even when they were newer tractors.

/ 7040 allis oil leak #5  
hi I hate to resurrect this older thread but i have the same problem as the op and i was wondering if you could tell me the o-rings and parts i need to replace so that i can make sure I'm changing the right ones and order them before i tear down the pump. I attached the link to the parts book and i attempted to attach the picture. thanks in advance for your help it is greatly appreciated trying to get my old girl lined out

AGCO Parts Books

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 11.46.18 PM.png