Strange cylinder port....

/ Strange cylinder port.... #1  

mrcaptainbob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bolens HT-20
I reclaimed a cylinder from another splitter for my 'new' one. The cylinder was directly bolted to a VERY thick chunk of crossdrilled steel. The port for the cylinder was in the very end and fed to one of the galleries in that steel chunk. My new design now has that end port closed off. I intended to use one of the side ports at that end. As it turns out there were two what looked like 1/2" pipe plugs in the cylinder end, but on the side of the end. The plugs had 3/8" hex holes in them. I used an impact driver on one, but it only twisted inside the plug. I ended welding a washer on the plug, then a nut to that and it did finally come out. I was AMAZED to find it is NOT a 1/2" pipe thread. Looks like something around 7/16". Do I use a brass fitting to get from that to a pipe thread? Never saw anything like that. I may just drill and tap for a 1/2" pipe thread and call it a day....
Any idea on what ports like that are? or what for? Two of them about 2" apart center/center. Located at the end opposite the ram.

/ Strange cylinder port.... #2  
Do not drill and tap...... You will fill the cylinder with metal shavings..... Buy another plug.... Check out hydraulics suppliers... It is probably a vent plug for removing air in the cylinder...

/ Strange cylinder port.... #4  
My guess is you are dealing with a "lock valve" most of these applications have SAE o-ring or boss thread. Mainly because of the higher pressures and leak resistant design. The lock valve is there so if a hose or fitting fails the cylinder will "lock" in place. This is just a guess without pictures. You may be messing with the cartridge plugs also. CJ

/ Strange cylinder port.... #5  
Based on the limited description, without pictures, everyone is just guessing. Help us help you to the correct solution with some pictures.

/ Strange cylinder port....
I'll take pics of it and post tomorrow eve. I did find a ball in that hole. No spring, though.

/ Strange cylinder port....
Well that went well. Purchased a fitting at a GREAT hardware store next town over that was an exact fit. Turns out it was a straight pipe thread on the one end and I needed an adapter to go from that to a fpt. So....I learned something today: that there is such a thing as straight pipe threads.

/ Strange cylinder port.... #8  
Well that went well. Purchased a fitting at a GREAT hardware store next town over that was an exact fit. Turns out it was a straight pipe thread on the one end and I needed an adapter to go from that to a fpt. So....I learned something today: that there is such a thing as straight pipe threads.[/QUOTE

Straight pipe threads? Not unless it was BSPP. Be CAREFUL your scaring me. High pressure fittings from a hardware store??? CJ

/ Strange cylinder port.... #9  
Straight pipe threads? Not unless it was BSPP. Be CAREFUL your scaring me. High pressure fittings from a hardware store??? CJ
I agree. Most hardware store fittings are rated for ~300PSI, not the 2000-3500PSI that your hydraulic system can put out.

Aaron Z

/ Strange cylinder port.... #10  
The only straight threads I am aware of in hydraulics are either flare fittings (jic), o-ring fittings, or npsm (straight mechanical). None of which sound like what you got.

And ditto the hardware store comment.

Any chance on seeing some pics. And maybe a pic of the new fitting?