MF165 Hydralic problem

/ MF165 Hydralic problem #1  

MJBeltran

Tractor
I just bought and old MF 165 for 3K. It has some problems. The first one I need to figure out is the power steering, which is getting air in it. Then when the 3 PT lift is in constant run mode (at the top of the cycle), the steering wheel can spin out of control without the front wheels turning at all. It is like the actuator valve in the front of the tractor is sending the pressure back toward the steering wheel instead of the axle. Cannot figure this one out. Have bled the lines and air comes out and the system works fine for a while until air get s back in the line.
Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

/ MF165 Hydralic problem #2  
Not sure where you're coming from on this one. You are aware, are you not, that the hydraulics and power steering have nothing to do with each other? The steering pump and reservoir are mounted on the engine and drive from the timing gears. No matter what you do with the hydraulic controls/levers it has no bearing on the action of the steering.

/ MF165 Hydralic problem
Not sure where you're coming from on this one. You are aware, are you not, that the hydraulics and power steering have nothing to do with each other? The steering pump and reservoir are mounted on the engine and drive from the timing gears. No matter what you do with the hydraulic controls/levers it has no bearing on the action of the steering.

The fellow I bought it from has it hooked into the Hydraulics. He told me the pump was in there and that there was only an actuator up front. With all that pressure there are probably some seals blown also. Thanks for the heads up.

/ MF165 Hydralic problem #4  
With a Joe MacGee setup like that, it's no wonder you've got problems.

/ MF165 Hydralic problem
With a Joe MacGee setup like that, it's no wonder you've got problems.

Also had a friend tell me the pump was in the gear box, I know very little about tractors, once two people confirm something you figure it's right... But it didn't make any sense, something was missing.
Guess I'll head out and see how much damage was done.
Thanks again.

/ MF165 Hydralic problem #6  
Also had a friend tell me the pump was in the gear box, I know very little about tractors, once two people confirm something you figure it's right... But it didn't make any sense, something was missing.
Guess I'll head out and see how much damage was done.
Thanks again.

If the previous owner has hooked up the power steering to the tractor hydraulics, It needs to have a priorty valve and relief valve to limit pressure to the steering system. Some priorty valves have a built in pressure relief valve. The priorty valve should have an adjustable flow control that will take the first amount of regulated flow of oil and direct it to the steering system. This is to insure that when hydraulic fluid is used for any other use, you still maintain enough flow of oil to the steering. This is a safety issue so you dont lose steering power at a bad time especially at road speed. I converted an Oliver tractor using the front pump hydraulic system since the stock power steering pump broke and parts were unavailable. I unfortunately did not use a pressure relief valve at first and had some problems with steering cylinders and hoses before adding a pressure relief valve. I learned the hard way. Maybe someone here will chime in and help and I will learn some benificial information also.