Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable??

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #1  

wjb-49

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT573-CPS, Ford 4610
Hi everyone!

Well, here I am again with another crazy problem on my Ford 4610. For some time I have noticed a slow fluid leak at the coupling on one of my hydraulic remotes. We thought it could be a defective quick-connect coupling and removed the coupling, it continued to slowly leak. I downloaded the parts list and diagram from New Holland and now realize finding the problem could be a very tough job.

Dose anyone have a suggestion for diagnosing this leak or what the most common problem is?

Thanks for any suggestions!

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #2  
You'll likely have to replace the coupling. Or, you could just let it dribble and put a cup under it when you park. That's what I would do :)

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #3  
my brain is old an slow so not sure if i understand what your saying but lets see.1 of your hydro remotes is leaking.if so you can get new guts from your NH dealer to fix it.the guts cost about $60 ea.you prolly want to change both of them.if you dont think you can change them out the shop can do it for you.

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #4  
Two ideas to diagnose the leak:
1 get a male quick coupler, put a plug in the end of the coupler and install in the female quick coupler.
2 remove the female quick coupler and install a plug in it's place.

Then see if the leak is gone.

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable??
Thanks to all of you for your replies.

I may have not been clear in my OP - I have removed both couplings (female) and one of the remote hoses continues to leak. Could the problem be in the control valve? If that is the most likely source of the problem, is a rebuild kit available (o rings, etc.) and is a rebuild a big job?

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #6  
Only repair that can be performed on a spool valve is external leakage. Internal leakage requires replacement of spool & valve body as a set.

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #7  
Exactly where is the leak?

spool shaft

valve port

hose fitting

The leak is at the quick-connect end of one (it appears to be only one) of the remote hoses. We removed the quick-connects to check if the leak continued, and it does. This occurs with the remote control valve turned off. I tied a plastic bag around the ends of the hoses and after about three hours of operating the tractor the bag has approx. 1/2 cup of fluid in it.

Thanks.

/ Remote Hose Has Slow Leak - Fixable?? #9  
The QD is probably attached to an NPT fitting.

NPT fittings are not designed to be used many many times, because the threads deform with each use.

If the fitting has not been used a lot, then I would use pipe dope on the threads and tighten it up and recheck. If the QD and fitting still leak, then replace the QD and the fitting.

With the valve in neutral, there should be no pressure on the QD, except the pressure caused by increase temp.

If you think the valve work ports spools are leaking, a good QD should stop all fluid flow.

The QD is probably attached to an NPT fitting.

NPT fittings are not designed to be used many many times, because the threads deform with each use.

If the fitting has not been used a lot, then I would use pipe dope on the threads and tighten it up and recheck. If the QD and fitting still leak, then replace the QD and the fitting.

With the valve in neutral, there should be no pressure on the QD, except the pressure caused by increase temp.

If you think the valve work ports spools are leaking, a good QD should stop all fluid flow.

This may sound like a totally dumb question: If I replace the leaking QD with another and the leak stops, if it is continuing to leak from the valve, would it not eventually fill the hose and cause a problem? I'm thinking the hose would eventually completely fill with fluid and cause a problem at the valve end of the hose.

Thanks for your reply.