DX45 Loader Question

/ DX45 Loader Question #1  

auglaize11

Tractor
case ih dx45
I have a Case IH DX45 with an L350 loader. It has the joystick control for the loader and bucket. When I roll the bucket forward to unload then try to back drag the bucket will just roll back like there is no hydraulic pressure. I have to use the joystick to completely bottom the bucket out before it will back drag. The next time I dump material and try to back drag it's the same thing all over again. The manual says to run the bucket to both extremes slowly several times to get the air out of the system. I do this but after a couple of times it's back to the same thing. My dealer had me reverse the hoses so the bucket was being controlled by the loader spool and the loader arms were controlled by the bucket spool and the problem changed to the loader arms and the bucket was fine which leads me to think the problem is in the control valve. I have read the manual on the fluid flow routing and the valve itself. There is a check valve on both spools to keep the bucket or loader in postion when the control goes to the neutral position but I checked and these both appear to be okay and look the same. Per the dealer I reversed these check valves but have not had time (rain) to use it to see if it helped. Do any of you have any ideas about this or maybe had a similar problem with you machine? Another issue is most of the parts in the control are "not serviced" by Case IH. Thanks for reading this and hopefully sharing your knowledge. Bruce

/ DX45 Loader Question #2  
Does your valve have regen?

Maybe that has something to do with the back dragging.

If it has regen, try and not use it and see if there is any change.

/ DX45 Loader Question
If this comes through twice I apologize, I am new to this site. I don't know if my machine has regen, I saw it refernced in the service manual but it was not clear if all valves had it. How would I know if I have it, how does it work, and how would I know if I am using it or not? Again a lot of questions for one sentence.

Thank,
Bruce

/ DX45 Loader Question #4  
If there is any part of the lever action that will make the bucket dump faster, then you have regen.

Some valves have regen in the first part of lever movement and others it is at the end part of lever movement.

Regen works by allowing the fluid from rod end to flow to the base end along with the pump fluid, producing a fast flow, but less force.

The speed of operation will probably double using regen.

Regen usually has a soft stop on the spool.

/ DX45 Loader Question
Thanks for the info. After my last post I went through both the operators and service manuals and they do give more information than I noticed at first. On my control the regen works at the second position when dumping. I am not sure this is working as I haven't noticed any change of speed when dumping. Today I am going to check how this actually is operating and see if it correlates in any way to the problem with back dragging. Thanks again for the information and I will let you know what I find out.

Bruce

/ DX45 Loader Question #6  
This seems to be a common problem on CNH compacts since they went to ALO-Quicke as the loader supplier. The loader cylinders seem to cavitate badly when you go to dump and especially if you move your joystick all the way to the right to the regen position. Some dealers have intalled restrictors in the dump side lines, but this is a work-around for a problem that should not exist. My early model 16LA loader on my NH TC45D is solid as a rock for back dragging.

Your problem has been reported several times in the New Holland forum and I think also in the Case/Farmall forum. I don't think there has been a satisfactory fix from CNH and they don't seem to consider it a problem. :(

/ DX45 Loader Question
Thanks for the info. I am going to keep going to see if I can come up with a fix, hopefully there is one.

Bruce

/ DX45 Loader Question #8  
The fix is not to go into regen.

/ DX45 Loader Question
I was finally able to get out and use the machine for a while yesterday and noticed a couple of strange things. The only thing I have done is remove the two check valves, inspect them (noticed nothing wrong), and reverse them. When I put the thing through it's paces the problem seemed to go away. I did use the regen function (it's actually pretty nice) it worked well and didn't seem to cause any problems. I can't believe I knew nothing about this function. I didn't get into any heavy work but it seemed to work fine. Another strange thing that has happened, it may or may not be related, is since I have owned this machine the loader will bleed off, if it is raised it will settle to the ground over a period of time. After I got finished I put it away with the loader about 3 feet off the ground and now it doesn't settle. I have no clue about what is going on but the changes seem to be in the positive so I am not going to complain. Hopefully it continues to do well. Thanks for your help and comments on this matter. Bruce

/ DX45 Loader Question #10  
By removing and inspecting the load checks, you may have found the cause of the leak down.

The purpose of the load checks is to block the flow from the cyl until there is sufficient pump flow.

Re-seating the check valve may have provided a better seal.