adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer?

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #1  

nhoskins

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hello,

I am trying to adapt a closed center John Deere Backhoe off of a mid 80's 401 to fit on the back of my Allis Chalmers 653 dozer. I am hitting interesting bumps in the road at every step, and just when I was exulting about putting a diverter valve on the AC to run the hoe, it comes up that the hoe is closed center and the dozer is open center.

Is it possible to put some sort of Priority flow divider in place here, or some other sort of inline adaptation on the AC's open center system to run rear remotes to a closed center attachement?

HELP!

Thanks!

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #3  
I agree with J_J on getting another valve.

Another option might be: My knowledge of JD industrial's is limited since I was employed by a JD ag dealer but I think no open/closed center plug was offered for JD factory BH control valves. After viewing the parts schematic I see no option for open center offered. You might could drill & tap the cover(parts key #9) and make it an open center valve. .

Attachments

• T18547_________UN01JAN94.gif
    T18547_________UN01JAN94.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:
   / adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #4  
If you can find either the same manufacturer or an equivalent part you can change out the outflow plate to an oc plate. Pribably around $40-60 depending on manufacturer and sorce. Hopefully it isn't a cessna valve. If so just replace it.

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #5  
Which model of backhoe Unit and valve.Did you check the JD parts book? The valves on my JD model 10A converts from open to closed Center in about five minutes.

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #6  
Is the valve from the 401 set up for load sense control? I.e. a small pilot line fed back to the pump control.

If yes you can purchase load sense compensating valves that will allow you to use the closed center valves in an open center system. Sun, Hydra-Force make these valves.

I would be careful changing out the complete valve stack since I suspect JD had work port reliefs, anti cavitation checks, etc. built into their valve and you would not replace these features for $450 dollars

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #7  
Which model of backhoe Unit and valve.Did you check the JD parts book? The valves on my JD model 10A converts from open to closed Center in about five minutes.

It will surprise me if JD offered an open-center valve conversion plug for BH for a 401. Your 10A BH was designed to fit the JD's Mannheim & Japanese tractors unlike the model 9400 BH

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #8  
I would be careful changing out the complete valve stack since I suspect JD had work port reliefs, anti cavitation checks, etc. built into their valve and you would not replace these features for $450 dollars

If nhoskins drilled and tapped the end cap then the relief valves would still be in the original valve.

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #9  
nhoskins,
If you can identify who made this valve for JD they might offer an open center inlet for them Vs the closed center. This would be neat clean fix if available.

Husco, Parker, Vickers, Rexroth, etc, all make valves like this for industrial market. Not sure if JD would allow them to leave their name tag on this valve stack or not.

I doubt you can simply drill and tap your existing valve cover. Reason being is that I suspect these valves are parallel and not series and will require some for of pressure compensation valve that gets a pilot signal from the main valve stacks to close off and direct the flow to the valve sections.

/ adapting closed center john deere backhoe to open center AC dozer? #10  
On some of the older tractors they did. I pulled a stock cessna valve off my 301a when it failed. Some of the equipment they had multiple manufacturers for parts. I know of 2 different brands used for the loader valve on thee 301a alone.