Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How?

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
I haven't really thought about the hydraulic systems on my tractor as much as I should have but I'm faced with a hydraulic modification for a "new to me" tractor(Landini Mistral 50) I'm getting mid next week. My need is to add flow control to one of the 3 SCVs on this tractor to operate vineyard equipment with flows of 2-7 gal/min. A suggestion was made to me by a vineyard equipment rep. to add inline a valve like this Prince ...... Prince Adjustable Flow Control Valve — 1/2in. Port Size, Model# PFC51-1/2 | Adjustable Flow Valves| Northern Tool + Equipment . My questions are : (1) does it matter where I locate it other than close to point of use, (2) do I use compression fittings with ferrules to secure inline, (3)what do I have to do to relieve hydraulic pressure before cutting into hydraulic line, & (4) is there a valve manufacturer I should be selecting from? Any answers and suggestions are much appreciated....Thank you, Gary

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #2  
   / Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How?
JJ - Thanks for the answers. The unit I'm looking at is the following.... Clemens GmbH & Co. KG | Weinbautechnik - Kellereitechnik - Tankbau . It is a mechanical weeder that uses a hydraulic valve with a trip arm to retract and divert flow to a no-pressure return to sump. It seems that your second suggestion would work with a Tee inline of one SCV and uses needle valve to adjust flow to the new line and thus the mechanical weeder. Is the mechanism by which the flow is regulated significantly different between the needle valve you suggest and the flow controller suggested by vendor? If not I can see where a Tee and needle valve would be easier to site on the tractor.......Thank you, Gary

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #5  
I haven't really thought about the hydraulic systems on my tractor as much as I should have but I'm faced with a hydraulic modification for a "new to me" tractor(Landini Mistral 50) I'm getting mid next week. My need is to add flow control to one of the 3 SCVs on this tractor to operate vineyard equipment with flows of 2-7 gal/min. A suggestion was made to me by a vineyard equipment rep. to add inline a valve like this Prince ...... Prince Adjustable Flow Control Valve 1/2in. Port Size, Model# PFC51-1/2 | Adjustable Flow Valves| Northern Tool + Equipment . My questions are : (1) does it matter where I locate it other than close to point of use, (2) do I use compression fittings with ferrules to secure inline, (3)what do I have to do to relieve hydraulic pressure before cutting into hydraulic line, & (4) is there a valve manufacturer I should be selecting from? Any answers and suggestions are much appreciated....Thank you, Gary

I looked at the weeder and can't tell what they are using the hydraulic flow for. Is it a motor?

Answers to your questions:

1- I would mount it on the weeder. I think Clemens should have it built in to the weeder.

2- No! use hydraulic fittings only!

3- You will not be cutting the line, and you can't use a tee.
Oil flow takes the path of least resistance.

4- Has been answered.

Your flow will come from plugging the hoses from the weeder into one of the 3 SCVs on the tractor.

Does one of the valves have a detent so it will stay on? If not you will have to rig a mechanical latch to hold it open.

I recommend you contact a local hydraulic shop to get it connected right.

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #6  
Is this for speed of a cyl or a hyd motor, and what is the GPM f the motor?

As you go up in price range, you can have this.

Surplus Center - 15 GPM 12 VDC BRAND CEP1500 ELECTRIC FLOW CONTROL

Just turn a knob in the cab and adjust the flow using proportional control.

Least expensive is a washer with a certain orifice in it for flow control, for just pennies.

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #7  
Gary:

Seems to me you must first find out what type of hydraulic system the weeder is set up for: open or closed (there are other names, but these are perhaps the most common). Put differently, is the weeder valve set up to allow flow through it back to the sump all the time except when it is activated by the sensor to swing the plow around the vine (an "open" system) or is the weeder valve set up to block flow from the source (on the tractor) returning to the sump until the sensor touches the vine, at which time the valve opens to allow flow through the swing mechanism and then back to the sump?

Then, assuming the weeder hydraulic system is the same type (open or closed) as the hydraulic system on your tractor (or can be made the same type by changing the configuration of the valve), you can better determine what type of flow control (if any) will work best.

Look forward to hearing from you.

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #8  
This is the weeder.

I wonder if it uses a rotary actuator?

p4040-radius-1-s.jpg p4040-radius-4-s.jpg

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How? #9  
Xfaxman:

It appears to be served by two hoses, so it could be set up as either a closed center valve or the last valve in an open center system.

/ Adding Flow Control Valve - Where & How?
Thanks for the replies. Have been away for a couple of days. I think I was over-thinking the solution by trying to cut into the SCV line delivering the lower flow while still retaining use of the SCV. However, after thinking about the solution a bit and XFaxman's suggestion of mounting to the weeding unit that solution makes very good sense. The unit then becomes easily to use on other tractors(mine and others). Since I'm leaning towards a 3 pt hitch tool bar mount the Prince flow control valve mentioned earlier would be easy to mount on the tool bar with the weeder. Agree with other posts that suggest the flow control unit be placed with the unit. Eventhough I mentioned the Clemens there is another unit(Braun LUV Perfekt) that competes favorable with it and maybe lower cost. Someone had questioned the valve function( hydraulic flow path when weed knife is extended vs retracted). I think this is where the Clemens and Braun are opposites in that one has flow through to sump while the other has flow pressure on valve when knife is extended and then reversed when retracted. The following are video links.
Clemens ..... Lama interceppi Clemens SB2 con RADIUS 860 - YouTube
Braun .... WillaKenzie Estate - In Row Cultivation with a Grape Hoe - YouTube

Cheers, Gary

Last edited: