Log splitter retract distance?

/ Log splitter retract distance? #1  

jthaxter

Tractor
Kubota 2350DT
I have a 27 ton log splitter that handles 24" wood. Thing is, I do 16"-18" wood. If I let the piston retract all the way while I fetch the next billet I then have to wait for the piston to extend that empty 6 or 8 inches. Is there a way to stop the piston at an intermediate distance? I did drop a spacer in behind the wedge and the piston stops retracting when it hits it, probably due to some pressure limit. But is that a good thing to do? Is there some other way to affect the retract distance?

/ Log splitter retract distance? #2  
The cyl will keep retracting until it builds up to the kick off pressure, so the wedge thing is probably the best, as the pressure will build up to pop the lever to neutral.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #3  
I have a 27 ton log splitter that handles 24" wood. Thing is, I do 16"-18" wood. If I let the piston retract all the way while I fetch the next billet I then have to wait for the piston to extend that empty 6 or 8 inches. Is there a way to stop the piston at an intermediate distance? I did drop a spacer in behind the wedge and the piston stops retracting when it hits it, probably due to some pressure limit. But is that a good thing to do? Is there some other way to affect the retract distance?

Put your spacer on the other side. Let the cylinder go all the way home.

/ Log splitter retract distance?
Well duh, that's an idea. That should work fine while I have the splitter horizontal - I can get someone to make up a metal spacer that rests against the foot. Thanks.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #5  
And if you forget the spacer is there then what.

/ Log splitter retract distance?
The only thing is that I will need to extend the log catcher frame toward the cylinder, since it is placed to catch wood at the foot. As I move up the splitting point the wood can fall onto the engine.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #7  
Is there anyway you can make a bracket or arm that when it comes back that it well trip the hyd lever to center?

/ Log splitter retract distance? #8  
The kickback to neutral works off of pressure, abut 1200 psi

Just add a sleeve or block to the back of the pusher to keep the stroke to about 18 in, and the lever will kickback to neutral when the kickback pressure is achieved.

You guys are working too hard at this.

/ Log splitter retract distance? #10  
You could hire my granddaughter. She is trained to flip the lever at 18". (a white paint mark.) She works for a few dollars and candy, with a soft ice cream thrown in on hot days. :thumbsup: