Broken Hydraulic tube

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
Not a good tractor day today. Couldn't get my mowing job done today (actually couldn't even start it), as promised. Had front flat due to a nail /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif, tubed tire to boot /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Then right after I fixed the flat, I had another hydraulic leak /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Fixed a loose fitting last night.

Attached is a photo of the tube that is broke. It is the pipe that runs behind the the parking brake pawl. The left side (as seen in the photo) is leaking right at the point where it is welded to the "banjo" (where the bolt goes through). The other end attaches to the hydraulic block to the the right of the parking pawl. I'm lucky in that it is just a return line to the sump. What happen was last night I noticed a leak on my trailer. So I traced it to a loose return line from my loader control valve to the manifold block. So I tightened it. In doing so I also noticed that the bracket that holds the block in place was loose, tightened that too. Cleaned it all up and looked like a good fix. So I figured the vibs must cause the tube to crack. At first I thought it was the seal was bad on the banjo fitting. But it was odd because the more I tightened it the more it leaked!

So... is there a temporary fix? I would like to J-B weld it but I can't keep it dry long enough to apply it. Are there any other ideas? I WILL be ordering one right off tomorrow, but looks like a special order part. It would really be nice to use the tractor while I'm waiting.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 305351-hydraulic_tube_leak.jpg
    305351-hydraulic_tube_leak.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 515
   / Broken Hydraulic tube
Close up of the crack. That is with the bolt snug, not tight. With it tight the crack is larger which makes it leak faster.

Attachments

• 305352-hydaulic_tube_leak_close.jpg
    305352-hydaulic_tube_leak_close.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 349
   / Broken Hydraulic tube #3  
pstix2.jpg

For a temp fix, (Only on a No pressure line) try this epoxy… you can pick up at any WalMart (different brand name) in the Marine accessories section… a tube costs about ~ $3-4 ? (all different prices…as low as 50 cents)

Wire brush the area for better surface adhesion, knead the clay like epoxy substance and mold it into place… should be able to use ~ 1 or 2 hours, but I’d give it overnight… and maybe go over the surface again with another layer or two…

Pliable epoxy

/ Broken Hydraulic tube
Thanks JM3. Does it work on oils, hydraulic oil in my case. With the bolt snug it drips about a drop of oil on about a minute.

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #5  
I used it on a cracked manifold on my boat (water coolant jacket) while under low pressure and it worked fine, one friend used it for a pin hole in an "injector" line... couple years ago... and I swear I think he's still using it (of course a temp fix /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif), fuel tanks, cracked manifolds, it hardens like steel... (yes, suppose to work around gas, oil, petroleum products)

Try it, Ya have nothing to lose except your time... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #6  
It works real well for most things. I have used a lot of it. You can use it under water, but I don't know about using it where you can't get all the oil off. The adhesion might not be there.

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #7  
I have used a "silicone tape" for temporary repairs. It works great. I bought it at our state fair last year.
It is called Mox-Tape ( http://www.arlonstd.com/pages/moxtape.html )
I have used it on electrical connections (permanent) and even on tool handles.
It took me a while to find the manufacturer (a lot of resellers really had jacked up the price). It seems to be made by more manufacturers now. Here is one company that makes it: http://www.tommytape.com/ You can read about the specs on this tape on the sites.
I keep some of this "tape" in my tool box for emergency repairs.
I can't say enough good about this tape and the uses that I have found for it.

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #8  
Wal-Mart has what sounds like the same thing in the plumbing dept. I also keep a roll in the tool box, it does a good job on a lot of things. It is not sticky at all, as they say when you stretch and overlap it, it then fuses to it self.

/ Broken Hydraulic tube
Thanks for the help JM3. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything local (the nearest Walmart is 65 miles away). I did however order the new part. Should be at the dealer (right near the Walmart) by Teusday afternoon. Cost $60 for the pipe, $20 for priority shipping. Install should be easy, the hardest part will be catching the hydr. fluid.

/ Broken Hydraulic tube #10  
Derek, if you have the part off, couldn't you get it welded/brazed for less than $80? ...just curious /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif