LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #1  

Skeeter Madness

Tractor
Kubota MX5100; RTV X1100CWL
This is the second time I've had my FEL off my tractor, and I need to reinstall it, but cannot get the bucket quick disconnects (QDs) reconnected (Blue and Red). The raise and lower QDs (White and Yellow) will connect, but not the bucket QDs. I have cross connected the couplers to ensure the control valve male ends are not damaged, and that works fine, but the female bucket line QDs will not connect to any of the male ends. This leaves me suspecting that I have excess pressure built up (unlikely that two QDs are bad at the same time) that I'm not able to overcome by pushing down on the QD to connect it.

Is there a trick that I'm not aware of? Has anyone experienced this issue and figured it out?

I'm at the point where I think I need to break the female QD loose at the line and bleed some of the pressure, but I'm concerned that the bucket will move causing the FEL to fall off the little stilts that are holding it up (remember, it's not on the tractor).

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #2  
Loosen the couplers from the hydraulic lines to bleed off pressure. Mine does it to if I let it sit in the sun for a day or two. Be careful though cause it can spray you pretty good!

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection
It seems you're confirming what I suspected. Not sure why it has so much pressure as it's sitting in a barn. You haven't had an issue with the loader wanting to fall when you've bled it? That's really my main concern as I would have no way to pick it up if it falls. Thanks for the reply.

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #4  
No I've not had an issue with it moving at all. I'm probably going to buy some more quick disconnects and put two males back to back so I can plug the loader lines together when it's off the tractor. I always plug the lines together on my grapple when it off the tractor because it has a tendency to do the same thing if I don't.

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks again for your help!

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #6  
did this work? Im now having the same issue

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #7  
did this work? Im now having the same issue

If you can get the lift hoses on, raise the bucket a few inches off of the ground and have a helper bounce up and down on the bucket lip (tractor off during this, as well as relieve pressure on curl/dump circuit) to get on the hose that powers the dump function (follow the hose from the top of the curl cylinders). Once that hose is on, and the tractor is off, float the raise circuit placing the bucket on the ground, and move the stick back and forth between dump/curl a couple times and then place the other hose on.

You can also place a wrench on one of the fittings, then wrap in a decent rag while loosening a fitting to relieve the pressure. Trying a few hours after sun-down will also allow it to go on and off with no trouble assuming the temp is a few degrees cooler than when you took the FEL off.

In the future, be sure to to keep the FEL as warm as possible during removal by leaving it in direct sun for 30 minutes or so and drop it off where it will be in the shade by the time you want to put it back on. Place something unobtrusive, but clearly noticeable on the hoses @ the joystick to remind you of this practice.

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #8  
I also have a MX5100 and had this same problem the first time I tried to re-connect the loader. Next time after you have removed the loader but before you disconnect the hoses, move the joystick in all directions a couple of times and that will release the pressure on the lines. That has worked for me several times now.

/ LA 844 FEL Hyd Connection #9  
I also have a MX5100 and had this same problem the first time I tried to re-connect the loader. Next time after you have removed the loader but before you disconnect the hoses, move the joystick in all directions a couple of times and that will release the pressure on the lines. That has worked for me several times now.

This won't do anything for a loader that has raised its temp and thus pressurized the dump circuit. Might be a better option to swap out one of the dump circuit quick connects with the loader valve. Then after taking it off just plug the hoses of the dump together. When uncoupling them it should dump enough pressure to connect back to the machine.

Also, once the loader is aligned to the quick attach of the tractor, might try a cargo strap from the bucket lip to the brush-guard to compress curl circuit. Once you get one line on, turn off the tractor and cycle back and forth between curl/dump and it will relieve the rest of the pressure in the line.