Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Yanmar 187D

Default Re: Kubota cylinder retainer bolt

Greetings,
    Awaiting on my seal kit to rebuild cylinder.
    Anybody know how tight to tighten gland retainer bolt when reassembling?
    Thanks
    Bob

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    The impact hammer is a good idea. I would instead employ it on the cyl surface directly outside where the gland screws engage. TURN THE POWER DOWN and, holding the hammer tip located with gloved hand, use a short burst at 3 pts equally spaced. This will disturb the "nut"/"bolt" thread interface and help break the bond that has formed long term. - It will also stretch the metal slightly increasing the circumference of the nut/cyl. The gland screw may then be removable. If not, use different equi spaced impact points [and maybe more power] if you repeat. Short bursts only ... pull the trigger all the way in and let it go immediately - about 10 blows.
    larry
    Quote Originally Posted by wdchyd View Post
    the only problem with this is if the cyl barrel is thin (like most all kuboata cyls) and the OP gets a little rough......he'll likely distort and damage the threads and never remove the gland if this happens......if impact is needed on the outside of the barrel then I use just a regular hammer to the outside while using the spanner

Using the air-impact hammer parallel to the hyd rod (slightly tilted counter-clockwise) will give the same shock benefit without any distortion of the threads.......and the end of the tool can be slightly pointed to dig in without any harm
    Note that I addressed your cautionary points originally, altho I did not spell out reasoning as you have. The effects on side and end application are different [underlined]. The true ~ lurking danger of side impact is too many quickly repeated blows causing galling.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Sorry Spyder, I didn't mean to sound critical, you obviously know what you are doing, and very well too, shock and vibration is our friend

Sometimes it's good to think outside the box instead of getting mad at it

In my earlier years I was taught "If all else fails, get a bigger hammer"......
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Yup. Theres lots that can be accomplished un conventionally when you see and allow for issues. I find using a nicely shaped hammer tip and judicious input pressure to be safe and convenient due to the good position and directional control you get when holding the tip. Applying impact with hammer and large shaped tip punch is kinda analogous. I would avoid strking with the hammer directly because its difficult to assure a flat blow. Considering option for soft/brass tip is always good. ... Its hard to convey all the decision points well w/o some comeback questions. Fortunately OP was able to get it done with some undefined hammering, penetrating, oil and leverage.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12