remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #1  

Rodmo1

Hi all,

I am looking into purchasing a David Brown 885 Diesel (early mid 70's). My biggest concern is why there would be only one quick connect port on the back. Any tractor I ever had used 2 ports (supply and return). I am hoping to use the 3 point for a wood splitter using the tractors hydraulics. Anyone have some insight on this configuration?

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #2  
How many GPM's do you have to the back for a log splitter?

If you have hyd flow to one QD, and want to use a log splitter valve, then run the OUT hose to the hyd fill cap, or any return hose .

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885
According to tractordata it is rated for 7.4 gpm. Wouldn't I need a pressurized 2nd hose to return the cylinder piston to its starting point?

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #4  
A neighbor had one of those things (just called a David Brown then; British I believe) when I was a youngster in South Georgia in the early 1960's. Probably a bit older than yours. I recall borrowing it and having to learn the most complicated hydraulic system you could imagine to operate single action remote cylinders on a dump grain trailer. There was a three or four position selector lever that selected several functions: draft , straight lift, remote, ?????. And it seems you had to actually lift the TPH arms by hand to operate the selector lever.

Single action cylinders were more common on agricultural equipment in those days than double action cylinders, such as those on a log splitter. So I guess the manufacturers made a single action remote setup to save money for farmers who did not need a double action system. My memory is cloudy, but I think when you put the selector lever in the correct position, the single remote outlet was operated by the same handle that controlled the three point hitch.

Sounds to me like you are going need a hydraulic schematic, a four-way directional control valve with the existing pressure remote line connected to the "in" or "pump" port and a return line from the "out" or "tank" port to the hydraulic sump in the transmission case, and then two lines from the work ports of the new directional control valve to the log splitter cylinder.

Let us know what you work out.

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #5  
Farmerford, LOL!

My dad has had a 885 DB since the late 70's. I learned how to drive that tractor when I a kid. I've been driving it for 17 or 18 years now and to this very day I still don't know how to get that d*mn knob to do what I want!!

Rodmo,

I'll try to get a picture of mine later. It has two hoses. Maybe yours can be adapted easily???

Last edited:
   / remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #6  
I say again, if you can get constantly flow to the QD at the back, you can feed a log splitter, since it has it's own valve. The log splitter return /OUT hose can go to the hyd tank.

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #7  
DT86:

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't dreaming!

DT86, A picture would be excellent. I may go back to look at the tractor again in the next day or two. Overall it is seemingly excellent tractor. I am just concerned about the limitations of the hydraulics the way they are. I have been trying to decide between a ford 3000 and case 885 for some time now. Starting next week we will own about 20 acres that will need bushhogged and minor field work.

JJ...Thanks for the help. I think I am going to have to read up on hydraulic theory for these tractors. Perhaps as simple as just running a new line to the sump?

/ remote hydraulics on David Brown / CASE 885 #10  
G'day Rodmo not sure about over your way but over here some parts for those DB/Case tractors are getting hard to find. Engine and hyd are not too bad to find but trans/ final drives are very difficult. You have to be very careful with what you do with the hyds as they also lube the trans i.e if youi are using a constant flow out the back then you may be robbing all your trans lube and that is not good.

Best to talk to someone with intimate knowledge of DBs and see what they say and if they are under 60 then they prob don't know:laughing:

We had a 1294 in work a couple of years ago that had fried the trans it was close to $6k to rebuild with alot of 2nd hand gears etc, the prob was caused by the owner taking a bolt out of the final drive to mount something but the prob was this bolt went through the casting and pushed the lube line into the housing, when he removed the bolt the pipe dropped down and you can't see that unless you have the top off the diff :censored:

I think the ford would be a better machine but that is just my opinion.

Jon