Hydraulic vent, and water

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
My 8N has an add on hydraulic system. The fluid in it now is a bit foamy, like it has some water in it, and when using the pump, it does cavatate a bit. Now I am planning on draining the system, and I am adding a filter, [this will be a thread later on this week. My first welding project on the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif] is there anyway to flush the system after, to get any left over water out? Also the tank has a drain plug, level plug, fill plug, and two line attachments, but no vent of any kind, should there be one? I always thought you needed one. I see that northern has a screw in vent/fill cap. My present fill is a pipe plug. I was planning on adapting that up to the ¾ pipe size that the vent cap is. Any other tips for me? I am "kinda" used to hydraulic systems from my Ingersolls, but this is laid out a little different. Thanks for any help.

/ Hydraulic vent, and water
Here's a real bad picture, but it will give you an idea what I am working on...

283925-8Nrtside.jpg

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #3  
Yes, I think it should have a vent. All the hyd systems I deal with have a vent/filter.
As far as the foamy fluid could be water and air. Sounds more like air since pump making noise. Be sure you check all the lines and connections on suction side of pump. If there are any leaks it will draw air and cause the problem you describe.

Water is hard to get out of any hyd sys. If you are careful you can take off return line to tank, make sure it is full of fluid and run pump. Important not to run the sys out of oil though. I do this on Allison transmissions to flush out coolers and lines when replacing. I have done on a couple of hyd sys but they pump fluid so fast (25gpm) that it is hard to keep up.
It would probably be better to just drain and fill a couple of times being sure to move all the cylinders completely in and out.

Thanks. There does not seem to be any leaks in the suction hose, but I will check it out when I get it up and running. I will pick up a vent anyways. I guess it cant hurt, right?

Heres one for you guys. I called my local parts place to get hydro oil, and they have what he called ISO32. Is that what I want? If not, what should I be looking for?

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #6  
ISO32 is the viscosity of the oil. If it gets cold were you are then that might be a little thick.

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #7  
I would sat an ISO10 would be fine. I forgot to look where you live first.
We use ISO10 here in Indiana, but, it is almost on the edge in the very warm summer. Of course our systems run quite a lot compared to a tractor.

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #8  
Just found this. This is the hyd oil we use in just about every hydraulic system we have except were the manufacture requires synthetic oil. Everything from dozers, excavators, tractors ect.

[http://www.exxon.com/USA-[/url]
English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2CVLEXExxtrans.asp

OK so the 32 is the weight. OK. I am in eastern NY, and it does get pretty cold here. Should I find something thinner?

/ Hydraulic vent, and water #10  
I personally think(does not reflect or imply the views of the management) would go with a 10 wt. By the looks of the pic, with the chains and all, I would say you are going to push a little snow /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.