hydraulic problems on ford jubilee

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #1  

alby

Tractor
ford jubilee
I have a Ford Jubilee and replaced the original single acting front lift cylinders with new double acting cylinders with vent plugs in the return ports.This was app. 5 yrs. ago & they were working good until recently.Now, one cylinder intermittently blows the vent cap off & blows oil out (it's always the same cylinder).I was wondering if anybody has an idea what would be causing this?I'm assuming something must be wrong inside the cylinder.Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #2  
its leaking oil past the piston, you may have it rebuilt ,or replace the seals yourself depending on the type of cylinder it is.

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #3  
its leaking oil past the piston,
Yep. That's the downfall of using vents, it'll suck in moisture and eventually it'll start leaking due to corrosion of the barrel. If you can, instead of vents take the port and run a line back to the hydraulic tank below the oil if you can, that way the cylinder is always full. It might slow the cycle time down a bit depending on the size of the line but it'll keep crap out of the cylinder. .....Mike

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #4  
You should not have any fluid on the vent side of the cyl.

If you do, then the seals are worn, or the cyl barrel is corroded or both.

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #5  
Yep. That's the downfall of using vents, it'll suck in moisture and eventually it'll start leaking due to corrosion of the barrel. If you can, instead of vents take the port and run a line back to the hydraulic tank below the oil if you can, that way the cylinder is always full. It might slow the cycle time down a bit depending on the size of the line but it'll keep crap out of the cylinder. .....Mike

That's a good ideal.

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #6  
Why not fix the problem.

/ hydraulic problems on ford jubilee #7  
He's talking with a good cyl.