Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45?

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #1  

CajunRider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45
I'm posting outside the Kioti forum to catch a wider audience. I need to replace the bucket cylinder of a KL249, which was actually a Rhino 2409 made by Rhino for Kioti. I found a cylinder on the Surplus Center ad on TBN that appears to be the same as mine. However, the maximum pressure rating is only 2500 psi. Is that enough or should I look for one with a 3000 psi max rating?

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #2  
What is the FEL relief setting on your tractor?

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45?
Honestly I don't know JJ. I know I should. One of these days I'll heed your recommendations in other threads and buy a pressure gauge and check it out myself.

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #4  
Cylinders, like hoses probably have a test pressure and an operating rating.

I found this but don't know id this is the standard.

Perhaps wdchyd will see this and provide some answers about test standards..

Excerpt:

Hydraulic pressure testing
Hydraulic cylinders are to be hydraulically pressure tested to
minimum 1.3 times the design pressure alternatively 1.3 times
the safety relief valve set pressure, whichever is the greatest,
before paint or any coating is applied on the cylinders. The test
pressure is to be applied to both sides of the piston head in sequence.

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #5  
If this is a name brand cylinder it should be designed with a minimum of a 3:1 safety factor. This safety factor is to allow for system pressure spikes. I could not find the specs for your Kioti but I would suspect that it runs in the 2,500 - 2,750 PSI range.

I suspect the 2500 PSI cylinder would work just fine but to be sure it would be nice to know what your system relief is set at.

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #6  
I called one of the cyl manufacturer, and they said there is about a 20% lee way over the operating pressure.

They also said you should reset the relief pressure to the cyl operating.

You could also put a relief valve on the cyl and set it to 2500 psi keeping the tractor relief set at 2750 psi.

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45?
Digging out some past posts on Kioti confirmed that it's 2500-2750 as you suspect JJ. I went ahead and paid a little bit more for two 3000 psi max cylinders. I bought two because I don't know the exact spec of the original cylinders so I spent a little more to make sure I get equal response on each side of the bucket.

Thanks for your advice JJ & OldNSlo

/ Is 2500 psi max good enough for FEL for a Kioti DK45? #8  
On many FELs when the joystick is centered, the only relief is the strength of the hoses, tubing, and the hydraulic cylinder seals (in other words, no relief). Consider that you are driving around with a full capacity load on the FEL and you hit a bump. The instantaneous load could easily spike up to 3500 psi or more. Going higher than the system pressure as you have done is a wise decision.