Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #1  

1Marshal

Tractor
none
Hello to all users. I am new with a specific problem. I have a log splitter custom build approx. 8 yrs. ago. Since new, I discovered a small annoying leak either in the filter gasket or the adjoining pipe thread coupling. It became worse over the years where the filter bracket could be easily turned in place. I assumed the pipe thread coupler attached to the "in" or "out" sides were leaking. I decided to fix the problem with new pipe thread compound, after cleaning the fittings, and replaced the existing filter with a matching filter from a major auto parts provider. The replacement filter gasket started leaking within the first 4 hours and subsequently totally failed. The gasket exited the housing at one location. I replaced the filter and gasket with a new unit based on gasket failure. I turned the new filter 1/2 turn past contact point and tried the system. It worked for approx. 1 hour under useful stress and it to failed. The bulge of the gasket was greater and fluid loss substantial. Note that I lubricrated the two gaskets with oil before placing them in the slot for the gasket. One thing that did concern me was the unaccounted for enlargement of each gasket as it was pushed into its housing slot. Without stretching it, it became longer than the space to install it. With a little coaking each time, it self fitted and a thumb riding around the rim indicated it was properly seated and not protruding at any point. What is causing the gaskets to fail?

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #2  
Over-pressure condition? Show pics of setup and damaged items.

Welcome to TBN. You might get more responses if you post this thread in another forum, other than new member introductions. Here one introduces oneself to the TBN members.

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure
Confused because nothing changed except the filter/gasket. Original came from Northern Tool and the later from NAPA Auto Parts. They look and attach the same.

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #4  
Like Coyote machine stated, sounds like an over pressure condition. Just because the filters look the same don't mean they are. Most spin-on filters are only good for 60 - 80 PSI with 100 PSI being max pressure. If this is installed in the return line I would suspect the filter is sized to small or there is a restriction in the outlet of the filter.

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #5  
Repost this in the Hydraulic forum so JJ can see it. He will help you. Oh Yea, Welcome

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #6  
Any chance the filter base is warped?

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #7  
Confused because nothing changed except the filter/gasket. Original came from Northern Tool and the later from NAPA Auto Parts. They look and attach the same.

"nothing changed except the filter/gasket." That is a change. Hydraulic filters are NOT the same as oil filters. Hydraulic filters are designed to handle way more pressure than an oil filter. As stated, looks don't mean anything when it comes to filters.

Thanks for the message reply. I think you are onto something. The size of the filter may match, but your point about internal makeup makes enough sense that its worthy of going back to the original filter. I will let you know what I find with this approach. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for the technical info. I assume that GPM also means higher pressures due to volume requirements of the pump. Any way of knowing how many psi is needed for 28 gpm?

/ Hydraulic Oil Filter Failure #10  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Hydraulics forum. :)