Power Beyond on Kubota L3200

/ Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #1  

Rayster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 w/LA524
Please pardon my hydraulic ignorance :confused: . I have read everything I can find on adding a third function. I am attempting on using an open center spool for a grapple attachment. I know the IN comes from "power beyond" "OUT" can be T'd to the return or tank line. My Kubota L3200, has a Power Beyond line that goes from the FEL spool to a valve body. So; that valve body has 1. Pressure (yellow), 2. Return (tank) (white) 3. Power Beyond (green). This is according to a document I have.

My question is do I simply T the Power Beyond Line?

My local supply store has very few fittings, so it looks like I will have to buy all my fittings and Ts online... :(

Here is my progress, all I need is to complete the plumbing.

grap1.jpggrap2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #2  
No, you never T a pressure line like power beyond. It goes in series. The power beyond hose from the loader goes to your valve, and its power beyond line goes back to the location where the green power beyond line came from, to power the 3pt. From what I understand you don't want to use ordinary NPT fittings like you would buy from the hardware store, they need to be high pressure rated. The tank lines can be T'ed. as there is not any real pressure on them.
There are some threads on here that detail this. Hopefully some of the more experienced guys will show up, with info.. I am a hydraulic newbie myself, but what I have said is what I understand.

James K0UA

/ Power Beyond on Kubota L3200
Ah, now I see...

Although I have an open center Energy 20038 four-way valve. It does not seem to have a PB port. Perhaps I have the wrong unit for the job?

I will check back tomorrow to see if anyone knows if this is the wrong valve.

Last edited:
   / Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #4  
Rayster, keep us posted as to your progress. I have a L3200HST, and am thinking of doing the same thing. From what I've been told, the way most do it is to add a solenoid to the curl line. The problem there is that you can't use both the curl function and the grapple function at the same time.

/ Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #5  
I downloaded their sparse info on that valve, trying to see what the max OUTLET pressure was - they don't list it. Most valves I've seen can only stand maybe 500 psi on the outlet (tank) port - the prince SV series is that way, but they have a PB port on the output section that comes plugged - you can either order them that way, order them WITH PB (which is merely a custom plug that blocks off the tank galleries from the higher pressure, or order the PB adapter after the fact.

About the only way I can see that you MIGHT be able to use your valve is if you can contact the manufacturer and get them to tell you what the TANK port max pressure is rated at. Their seals may be different than I'm used to, you might get lucky - but I doubt it. If, by some chance, their outlet port will stand full system pressure, you may be able to just insert that valve between the FEL valve's PB and the pressure inlet to the next valve - or, if your last PB isn't hooked to anything, you could feed that IN to your grapple valve and tee the OUTLETs/Tank returns.

IOW, if your new valve can be placed AFTER all the others, and the last EXISTING valve has an un-used PB, you're set... Steve

Yes, it's looking like I should purchase a valve that has the PB port. Thanks for the detail Steve. :)

/ Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #7  
Pete, Rayster - here's another option to consider

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7852&catname=hydraulic

Pete made the comment about not being able to use both at the same time, but here's my take on that -

1. Running wires from control area to bucket is a darn sight easier than finding room for, and running without kinks in, hydraulic hoses - BTDT and am less than totally impressed.

2. For things like a grapple, or nearly anything ELSE that will mount directly to the bucket, a selector valve isn't that big of a detrement - because if you grab something with the bucket pointing down, then let go of the button that chose the grapple, the grapple won't let go - both grapple and bucket will just curl because the grapple circuit will be dead-headed while you're using the curl function.

3. Using selectors, you don't need to mess with extra tank returns, PB, etc. - and the original valve control still gives you "feathering" of whichever function you're using at the time, even though the selector itself is on-off.

Costs aren't all that different - just different parts required.

I'm in the midst of a project for my old Case 580 (only thing I have with a FEL) that includes a 6' x 8' x 2' brush bucket (think full-size pickup bed that can go 12 feet in the air and self-dump) - a set of fairly heavy duty brush forks, and a Samurai hydraulic sickle bar -

I bought two of the above selector valves and a two button switch and will feed one selector with bucket curl hoses, default (no power) still feeds bucket curl - selector one feeds selector two, which gives me two "remotes" for two different cylinders to articulate the sickle bar.

Power for the hyd motor will come from ANOTHER (manual) selector valve that'll mount on fender next to backhoe controls - default on that one keeps one of the stabilizers working, other position goes to a flow control and the sickle bar.

When I'm done, I'll be able to trim the sides of one of my (many) privacy hedges by driving along and having everything I cut falling into the large bucket - when full, drive to burn pile/compost pile area and dump (never leaving the tractor seat)

Hedge tops - unplug the 2" square tubing from hitch receivers welded to rear of loader bucket, rotate 90 degrees, plug back in - now I have horizontal swing to do tops. Cut and leave laying on hedge. Park brush bucket nearby - (designed so I can hook up/un-hook without leaving tractor seat), pick up brush forks, "comb" top of hedge, dump forks into brush bucket as necessary - drop forks, pick up bucket (about 2 full-size pickup loads more or less)

Far side of hedges that don't have enough room for tractor on both sides - one more "linkage change" (there will be 3-4 ways to arrange my "erector set" using hitch receivers and pivot points, with two small hydraulic cylinders running off the two electric selector valves) and I can reach OVER THE TOP, down the other side, and trim the BACKSIDE of the hedge. Unfortunately I've NOT come up with a way (yet) to retrieve THOSE clippings that doesn't involve SWEAT :mad:

The brush forks (about 300 pounds) are designed to fit INSIDE the width of the brush BUCKET so I can take both to a more remote area (lower pasture with too many "weed trees" for example) in one trip. Get there, dump the forks on the ground, drop the brush bucket, pick up forks, pick up brush, dump in burn pile, repeat - Or, if the stuff to be picked up goes elsewhere, dump in brush bucket. All without leaving the seat.

Sorry for the long post, my main points are

Things that seem limiting, may NOT be

There's more than one way to skin a cat if you analyze your specific situation

ONE of those ways may be easier, cheaper, quicker, or some of each... Steve

I like that setup as well. But without a detailed schematic, it's just more to search and research. I am leaning toward the mechanical only solution. The wrong valve I have can be sent back for a refund to put towards what I can use.

That's been the biggest issue, if I had a schematic to look at it would have made this whole deal a lot easier.

I like that setup as well. But without a detailed schematic, it's just more to search and research. I am leaning toward the mechanical only solution. The wrong valve I have can be sent back for a refund to put towards what I can use.

That's been the biggest issue, if I had a schematic to look at it would have made this whole deal a lot easier.

/ Power Beyond on Kubota L3200 #10  
You mean like this?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7852.pdf

You would disconnect the two hoses that go to/from your curl cylinders and hook them to P1 and P2, add short hoses from C1 and C4 BACK to your curl cylinders, and hook two (new) hoses from C2 and C3 to your grapple cylinders.

A simple single pole, single throw switch mounted on your loader control lever - 12 volts from battery (thru a 5 amp fuse) to one terminal of the switch - other terminal (and ground) to a Hirshman connector (same page at Surplus) - the hirshman plugs into the selector valve.

No button push - bucket curl works. Button push - grapple works.

Since the grapple will be mounted TO the bucket, if you curl bucket while holding something with the grapple, BOTH will move without changing the holding pressure on whatever you're grappling.

Either way, you're probably gonna NOT need the valve you have - I'm just trying to help you pick a way that'll work best for YOU.

Whichever way you decide, you already know there are several people here to help you through it... Steve