PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q?

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #1  

Balerguy2

Bronze Member
Tractor
L4610 GST/ LA 852 loader, GrassHopper 725DT
My summer work is continuing on my "3 ph blower move to front loader sans bucket". My pin-on blower frame is done and it fits the blower (3 ph OEM frame removed). And the tractor 852 loader fits and easily takes the 1 & 3/16" (4) pins. The Surpluscenter.com hydraulic motor 9-7080-160 is mounted and drives via a 16 tooth sprocket to a 15 tooth (60 chain) on the blower. The motor is short coupled between sprockets with 28" tot. of chain and allows me to make changes this fall/ winter if need be ............ as opposed to direct or universal coupling. Motor specs: 9.6 cu/in. 2208 psi, cont 470 rpm int to 560, 2780 in/lbs torque cont.

Now comes selection of hoses & fittings ....................... It seems that NPT male or JIC 37 female are the contenders but once you go through QDs on the pressure line and QDs on the return line (all 3/4") problems arise. It may be simpler to go NPT and as long as you don't "undo" them they seem to work. It seems NPT only goes on once and you best leave it alone. The motor uses #10 ORB for in and out plus a #4 for case drain "CD". I'm planning a 1/4" line for CD but want to keep it flowing freely. To get all the Torque this setup will deliver minimal headloss on these long (16') lines is necessary. So:

1. QD on the Case Drain. Need to keep freely running to dump into my rear tank on my Kubota's L4610 hitch. Long life for the motor's main seal. (I hope). I don't know what the CD pressure might be on that while blowing snow but 100 psi or 300 psi? Most QDs seem to crack the ball open with some finger pressure..................... will this work and be adequate to keep case pressure minimal (16') by 1/4" id?

All seals/motors are not equal! Any pointers?!

2. My plan is to use the Prince PTO pump HC- PTO-1AC from Surplus Center. displ 9.9 cu/in/rev, 540 rpm, 21 gpm, 2000 psi. Any "heads up" to look out for? Do you see a different or better solution?

3. Have on hand a 3 ph rack to mount 25 gal (18 useful) tank, suction filter, relief, drain and hyd fittings necessary to make it all work.

Thanks to crash5291 "Joe" for finding the Hyd Motor without splines. All responders have/had helpful info THANKS!

Carl

Last edited:
   / PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #2  
Locally I know NAPA has the best selection for hoses and fittings.

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q?
Gale,

Thanks for the "Napa" nod. Our local Napa used to have a full machine shop with full blacksmith and crank grinding et al. Not much now.

Carl

My loader mounted snow blower with rear hydroPower Pac is about 90% done now. I stopped working on it during the summer months and just got to it again. The "smoke test" went fine the other day and took some more pictures. If I had to order something it was from Speedy Metals, Discount Hydraulic Hose and most of all from Surplus Center.... Hydraulic Pump, Hyd. Motor and 25 gal tank, and all the NPT and JIC 37 fittings. Order to Surplus Center on Sunday night and Thursday UPS would deliver the goods. Surplus center does a fine job. Hopefully the pics will tell the story. I am so glad not to look side-saddle backing up but look out front going forward!

I did not include Quick Disconnects for now since I want unrestricted flow. Later I'll find the right QD(s) and do the 3/4" pressure hose and return plus the 3/8" case drain. I expect it will do a fine job of snow blowing and come spring will be time to dismount and add the QDs. I generally don't run a full 540 on the PTO (about 2700 rpm). You might see the sprocket on the Hyd Motor (pic) is 16 tooth and 15 on the blower shaft to compensate for my lower rpm.

The system is a totally separate closed hydraulic system and merely reacts to whether the PTO is on or off at the operator set engine tach rpm. The blower is an existing one I bought new about 30+ years ago. The oem 3 ph just stuck it out too far forward so I built an adapter frame between the blower and my pin-on LA852 loader which brought the blower over 4" closer to the tractor loader. Much nicer and well worth the time.

The Hyd Pump weighs a lot so I specifically wanted it to be part of the 3 ph frame that carries the tank. You can see the double universal + shaft + spline adapter that with the shear pin pulled the assembly comes easily right out. No undo hand lifting required.

Hope this helps someone?

Does this belong in the "Projects" forum?

Attachments

• DSC01525.jpg
    DSC01525.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 610
  • DSC01597.jpg
    DSC01597.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 434
  • DSC01601.jpg
    DSC01601.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC01502.jpg
    DSC01502.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 459
  • DSC01729.jpg
    DSC01729.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC01736.jpg
    DSC01736.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC01737.jpg
    DSC01737.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC01740.jpg
    DSC01740.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC01743.jpg
    DSC01743.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC01744.jpg
    DSC01744.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 525
   / PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #5  
I did not see anything about a relief for the pump or motor.

If something jams the motor up, what are you gong to do.

J.J.

In the 6 th pic the Relief Valve is just barely visible near the upper curve of the suction hose................ hidden mostly by the vertical red channel steel of the 3 ph rack. It can be set between 1500 to 3000 psi. Currently set at 2000 psi. It should relieve thru that hose there in the foreground or half way up the near side of the tank.

Pic #5 probably has the best view of the Relief Valve. It may look different because I'm using the "alternate" ........... OUT port.......... of the Prince 21 gpm pump. That puts both the HP out and the Suction In all on the same side ie right side.

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #7  
I see now said the blind man.

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #8  
Nice work!

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #9  
Good afternoon...
I am going to convert my rear mounted 72? 3pt hitch snow blower to the the front. Mounting it to the front, using a 雉*uick detach plate is the easy part. I do have a few questions for you regarding the hydraulics.

My tractor is a 55 hp, 47 hp at the PTO....and the snow blower is a WOODMAXX 72 in. I閾エe had it a few years and it works great....it requires( states on the tag) a minimum of 25HP to operate.

After reading your design/ build posts from a few years back, I was wondering if everything you used on your snowblower projects still works as good as you hoped?

I plan on using a 20 gallon tank for hyd fluid.

I plan on using the tractors rear remotes to raise/ lower and rotate chute.

I just want to make sure that what you used, regarding PTO PUMP and HYD MOTOR is the right size for my project?

Thank you and anyone that can offer positive ideas on this upcoming project

Older retired guy.....

John

1FEEDFCA-CD6F-4F17-B822-4CB938E37620.jpegF174ED88-DBA3-445B-9974-C3F520E08981.jpeg9EED5D4C-AB5A-464F-AEC9-932503CBD428.jpeg32ADA01A-F601-4FCB-B620-22CF57410CDE.jpegA27BA63D-11F6-4992-A70A-B0110587D9DB.jpeg

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #10  
My loader mounted snow blower with rear hydroPower Pac is about 90% done now. I stopped working on it during the summer months and just got to it again. The "smoke test" went fine the other day and took some more pictures. If I had to order something it was from Speedy Metals, Discount Hydraulic Hose and most of all from Surplus Center.... Hydraulic Pump, Hyd. Motor and 25 gal tank, and all the NPT and JIC 37 fittings. Order to Surplus Center on Sunday night and Thursday UPS would deliver the goods. Surplus center does a fine job. Hopefully the pics will tell the story. I am so glad not to look side-saddle backing up but look out front going forward!

I did not include Quick Disconnects for now since I want unrestricted flow. Later I'll find the right QD(s) and do the 3/4" pressure hose and return plus the 3/8" case drain. I expect it will do a fine job of snow blowing and come spring will be time to dismount and add the QDs. I generally don't run a full 540 on the PTO (about 2700 rpm). You might see the sprocket on the Hyd Motor (pic) is 16 tooth and 15 on the blower shaft to compensate for my lower rpm.

The system is a totally separate closed hydraulic system and merely reacts to whether the PTO is on or off at the operator set engine tach rpm. The blower is an existing one I bought new about 30+ years ago. The oem 3 ph just stuck it out too far forward so I built an adapter frame between the blower and my pin-on LA852 loader which brought the blower over 4" closer to the tractor loader. Much nicer and well worth the time.

The Hyd Pump weighs a lot so I specifically wanted it to be part of the 3 ph frame that carries the tank. You can see the double universal + shaft + spline adapter that with the shear pin pulled the assembly comes easily right out. No undo hand lifting required.

Hope this helps someone?

Does this belong in the "Projects" Good afternoon...
I am going to convert my rear mounted 72? 3pt hitch snow blower to the the front. Mounting it to the front, using a 雉*uick detach plate is the easy part. I do have a few questions for you regarding the hydraulics.

My tractor is a 55 hp, 47 hp at the PTO....and the snow blower is a WOODMAXX 72 in. I閾エe had it a few years and it works great....it requires( states on the tag) a minimum of 25HP to operate.

After reading your design/ build posts from a few years back, I was wondering if everything you used on your snowblower projects still works as good as you hoped?

I plan on using a 20 gallon tank for hyd fluid.

I plan on using the tractors rear remotes to raise/ lower and rotate chute.

I just want to make sure that what you used, regarding PTO PUMP and HYD MOTOR is the right size for my project?

Thank you and anyone that can offer positive ideas on this upcoming project

Older retired guy.....

John