Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #1  

Bill_Ryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC35D
Was digging a rock out of our pasture (never ending) using a Woods 9000 backhoe when I heard a big swoosh and I knew what it was before I even looked down /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Left stabilizer had gone down and it was wet with hydraulic fluid. To see how bad it was, I gave the stabilizer a little down pressure and saw that it was coming out the top end of the cylinder around the piston rod and out the "T" of at the bottom of the cylinder body. Hoses and fittings are fine.

Anyone ever had a similiar repair done? Was wondering what to expect for cost of repair (no longer under warranty). Backhoe is only 2 years old, but it's been worked hard.

Thanks,

Bill
EnDeering Acres Farm
Deering, NH

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #2  
When one of the hydraulic cylinders on my loader was leaking, dealer wanted $48 for a rebuild kit, not including labor. I disassembled the the cylinder, took the seal to an industrial bearing shop, and purchased a new seal for less than a buck and a half.
Very simple repair.
The most difficult part was removing the collar on the large section on the cylinder. I used a tool designed for adjusting the preload on a motorcycle shock. You could also use a punch and hammer, but I didn't want to damage the paint.
It screws off, and the small shaft comes out (with a quick pull).
Had mine repaired in less than an hour and a half, including trip to find, and purchase parts.

Good luck.

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #4  
On thing bothers me about your statement. <font color="blue"> and out the "T" of at the bottom of the cylinder body </font> . By the "T", I think you mean the cylinder mount. If that's the case then you may have a bigger problem. You may have ruptured the cylinder cap. That'll have to be replaced if that's the case. It may wind up being cheaper to buy a new cylinder than try and find a new cap. Maybe I just misunderstood you and that's not the case.

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #5  
Hayseed did u just replace the 'dust seal ' or did u get the long packing and high pressure seals also for $1.50.
On the cylinders I have rebuilt there is a long nylon or something similar inside the cap and the dust seal just keeps out the dirt.

Bill do u have a cylinder repair shop near by ?
I bent a rod on my x- hoe this spring and had to buy a new rod $200 for them to make in 10 days or $400 from Deere next day and $50 labor and kit.
Since I was digging a basement at the time a got a Deere one.
The good shops can repair the body if that is what blew out and there kits are cheap.

I also have a 9000 hoe on my SSL and use it on some big jobs like busting 7" thick concrete slabs that they only cut 4" deep.
I had to put the stabilizer on the slab to get enough force to break them.

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #6  
Not sure about the terminology, but if I remember correctly there were 3 seals on the head of what I would call the plunger, or small shaft. Each was seperated by about 1/4 inch. I replaced the back two. One was obviously twisted, the other had a little nick in the lip.
They were light blue in color. About two inches in diameter and 3/16 thick with a small lip on one side.

Good luck.

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak
Not as bad as I thought...

Thanks everyone..

I took a closer look at it this weekend. I "lucked out" in that the actual leak is in one of the hydraulic lines leading to the stabilizer.

It threw me for a loop when I was out in the field because the stabilizer was in the down position and the leak was high up on the hose and sprayed on the underside of the stabilizer with such force that it ran down the underside of the stabilizer and appeared to come out the cylinder. And it also sprayed at the top of the cylinder as well....

Looks like a simple hose replacement should fix it!

Bill

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #8  
Re: Not as bad as I thought...

Glad to hear that it wasn't more serious. A hose is rather simple and inexpensive as those things go.

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #9  
Hayseed or anybody a question small leak around seals of stabilizer i need to replace seals but also need small nics taken out of cylinder can this be done either by me or a machine shop thanks edt

/ Backhoe Stabilizer Hydraulic Leak #10  
I have many hours on a Woods 9000,like you the only problem that I ever had was the leaky stab.-hose deal. As a matter of fact,I had one pop on each side. Both broke where the hose went through the frame behind the stabilizer,seems that is the flex-rub spot. The fix was easy,good luck!