1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #1  

Cville John

Tractor
1980 John Deere 1050
We have the John Deere back we bought new in1980 it now has a fel on it.the person that owned it kept the fluids changed .I havent changed the Hyd filter or cleaned the screen yet , but I'm noticing the hydraulics don't seem firm and responsive they respond up down and the bucket curls but it's mainly when you let the lift down it seems that the bucket is in more of a float mode and at times the lift causes the bucket to curl this afternoon I was using the 3 point to move a compressor I was going to let the compressor down and moved the 3 point lever but the lift arms wouldn't move so I just bearly moved the fel lift lever and the 3point started working any body have any ideas? When we got the tractor it was doing this. In using it the fel selector valve it started leaking so I dissembled it the stop on the lift spool looks to have been getting water in at the top of the cover and rusted the clip that holds the spool stop ,I replaced the 2 (0) rings each on the lift and curl spools.spools look to have acceptable wear thanks for any ideas .its full of fluid

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #2  
When 3 pt wouldn't lower by moving control handle forward did you try turning rate of drop screw CCW a little? It's possible FEL control valve spools/body have more wear than is acceptable. One may need to measure wear with a micrometer gauge.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #3  
Cville John,

What you describe about the 3pt not working is correct. The 3pt only works when it has fluid.

When the FEL is using all the pump fluid, nothing downstream has any fluid, as it is going to tank after leaving the cyl.

If you only use half lever on the FEL, you will have fluid at the 3pt.

You need a 3000 psi hyd gage in your hyd system, to monitor and trouble shoot the hyd system.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #4  
Cville John,

What you describe about the 3pt not working is correct. The 3pt only works when it has fluid.

When the FEL is using all the pump fluid, nothing downstream has any fluid,

J_J
The 3 pt hitch should go down if 3 pt control lever is moved forward irregardless of the FEL spool valve position as long as rate of drop screw isn't closed 100%.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #5  
You are right. Must have been a glitch in the lift arms.

I wonder if he went through a full cycle of up/down

I also took it to mean that the 3pt did not work at all.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q
Thanks for responding all. The rate of drop was set pretty fast.looks like I need a good service manual.do you have any suggestions on a really In depth one or they seperate for tractor and fel what abt the ones on eBay? If this selector valve spools or valve body are worn are they even still made for a 75 fel it's green so il bet its expensive . That's if it's common for valves to wear this way. I like to keep it looking original .Do you think those manuals will give tolerances I have inside bore gauges and a dial caliper .But may be I'm jumping in too deep and too fast I'll get a gauge where is best to hook up? Thanks! O the 3 point wouldn't move at all just a slight nudge on the fel lift lever and the 3 point worked

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #7  
Best place for a hyd gage is in a tee in the IN port of the FEL valve.

If you can raise the 3pt and obtain relief pressure, then the hyd are OK.

There could be other problem areas.

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #8  
Cville John
I just checked and there's no 2 spool hyd valve listed in the model 75 FEL parts catalog so is you loader controlled by tractor SCV's? I posted a 1050 tractor hyd line schematic for factory scv.

Attachments

• EP10076________UN24SEP99.gif
    EP10076________UN24SEP99.gif
    18.8 KB · Views: 723
   / 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #9  
Best place for a hyd gage is in a tee in the IN port of the FEL valve.

If you can raise the 3pt and obtain relief pressure, then the hyd are OK.

There could be other problem areas.

J_J
Correct me if I wrong but if relief pressure is noted on gauge when 3 pt is fully raised won't that indicate that 3 pt control valve is not going into neutral or did you mean "while raising)?
Thanks,Jim

/ 1980 John Deere 1050 75 fel Hyd issues q #10  
Some tractors have spring return to neutral, and others will stay in the raise position, therefore when the 3pt is fully extended, the gage will show relief pressure.

While raising the load, the pressure will reflect the load.

With the 3pt in neutral and all other valves are in neutral, the gage will read low or no pressure.