Steering Cylinder Leak

/ Steering Cylinder Leak #1  

Klorinth

Silver Member
Tractor
Montana T2334 HST
Afternoon everyone,

I need some help with a hydraulic issue. I have no experience working with hydraulics so I may need to take the tractor to a shop down the road. I wanted to ask for some advise before I did that though. I prefer to have an idea as to what work needs to be done before I take it in.

So for the last few weeks I have noticed that there was a little leak coming from the front end of the tractor. Not much and not constant. Took a bit to actually find it. It has now started to get worse though and is now leaking every time I use the tractor. It is time to fix it.

The leak is the right side of the steering cylinder. There is an obvious bulge of a seal on two sides of the rod. That is where the leak is coming from. A couple of days ago it even sprayed a bit. Most of the time the leak has been a gentle ooze as I turn the tractor. No leak when not turning. I'll try to post a couple pictures of the cylinder and bulge.

I really would like to here what people think needs to be done and how I should do it. Any advise would be welcome.

Attachments

• image-2457886539.jpg
    image-2457886539.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-3190957584.jpg
    image-3190957584.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 166
   / Steering Cylinder Leak #2  
A minor leak is nothing worry about but ozzing/spraying will need attention

The seal bulging out is the wiper seal, it's job is to keep contaminates from getting between there and the main rod seal.....that's already been compromised and needs at the very least to be taken apart and be repacked

/ Steering Cylinder Leak #3  
Also the reason the seal is bulging is the leaky main rod seal allows oil to get under the wiper and push it out of the groove

/ Steering Cylinder Leak #4  
I thought that I had a leaking power steering cylinder on my new 1025. Kept having a small puddle underneath the right end of it after parking it. JD guy came out and had me turn the steering wheel back and forth while he was down there checking. He said, "I think it's pink fluid."

Turned out my radiator hoses hadn't been tightened properly at the factory. A small amount of propylene glycol (doesn't have the pungent smell like the ethylene stuff) was leaking when I shut it down.

He just tightened the hose clamps. Been good since.

Ralph

/ Steering Cylinder Leak #5  
Klorinth, are those dark spots on the rod in the pix corrosion on the shaft?

If so, plan on repairing or replacing the hyd rod