Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #1  

wirfeld1

Tractor
Case/Farmall 35 Hydro
I have a Case/Farmall 35 (Hydrostatic trans) with around 250 hours on it. I changed the hydraulic filters only a few hours ago. For some reason, when its cold, the tractor sounds like a Kazoo when in forward or reverse. Does this every winter. Does anyone have an idea as to why?

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #2  
Do you have the correct fluid for your climate?

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #3  
My TC 33D is (maybe was) doing the same thing. Seems to go away after 10 to 15 minutes of use. Today after blowing snow in the neighborhood and invited into a warm garage, the local car doctor and I did some warm garage maintainence on it. Hopefully our tightening the fan belt, his suggestion, will have solved the squealing (kazoo playing), but I won't know for sure until the next snowfall. The forecast says Thursday and Friday, with below zero temps till then. I will let you know if I killed the kazoo. I thought the belt was tight enough, but he said tighter.

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #4  
Blew some snow today and NO kazoos in the background. The car doc thought the fan belt was somewhat glazed and said either a new one or tighten this one. He blamed the squealing on the glaze and the vibrations it propagates. There was the usual moaning from the hydropump, but that subsides in about 30 seconds. Hope this helps your cause.

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse
Well it was -11 degrees for a few days.... Seems a little better, at 30 degrees, but it still makes some noise.

Thanks for the idea. I will take a look to see if it is that simple. That would be nice! It goes away when I lift off the pedal though... Comes back when I press to go - forward and/or reverse. Cold definitely seems to affect it.

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #7  
Thanks for the idea. I will take a look to see if it is that simple. That would be nice! It goes away when I lift off the pedal though... Comes back when I press to go - forward and/or reverse. Cold definitely seems to affect it.

HST might have two filters. At least my HST tractor has them. There is strainer in suction. It is recommened to clean it when you change the hydraulic fluid.

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #8  
Yesterday I did some cleanup in preparation of last night and today's snow and the kazoo was back, so the loose fan belt idea was NOT the solution. I did not warm up the tractor as long as usual and the kazoo sound was similar to your situation. So I am jumping on board with JJ and going with the hydro pump and thick fluid. I did put a cover over the tranny cooler after noticing it was barely warm after 2 hours of use. I also warm the tranny by running both ptos and with the gear shift in neutral, depressing the pedal and setting the cruise during warmup. I did a longer than usual warmup and no kazoo at all. This seems to help and after today's workout, the tranny fluid was actually warm on both sides of the cooler. I'll go with this course instead of considering a fluid change.

Yesterday I did some cleanup in preparation of last night and today's snow and the kazoo was back, so the loose fan belt idea was NOT the solution. I did not warm up the tractor as long as usual and the kazoo sound was similar to your situation. So I am jumping on board with JJ and going with the hydro pump and thick fluid. I did put a cover over the tranny cooler after noticing it was barely warm after 2 hours of use. I also warm the tranny by running both ptos and with the gear shift in neutral, depressing the pedal and setting the cruise during warmup. I did a longer than usual warmup and no kazoo at all. This seems to help and after today's workout, the tranny fluid was actually warm on both sides of the cooler. I'll go with this course instead of considering a fluid change.

Our problems seem similar. I will try covering my tranny cooler too. Thanks for your thoughts!

/ Sounds like a Kazoo in forward and reverse #10  
Recently I had to replace all the hydraulic fluid in my B26 after a limb broke the HST filter housing and of course all the oil leaked out. I put in the Super S premium universal hydraulic oil from Atwoods and now there is noticeably less HST whine than it had with the Kubota UDT oil in it. I will have to see if the whine returns when the weather warms up, but in 40F temps yesterday, I could barely hear a whine at all.