How to figure hydrualic pumps

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #1  

NHboomerfan95

I have a hay elevator and it's spinning to fast and I don't have access to a gear reducer so I want to put a hydraulic reservoir and pump on an electric motto and have a flow valve to control the speed instead of using a rheostat on the motor my question I how big of a reservoir and how big of a pump I should get

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #2  
What do you mean that you don't have access to a gear reducer.

Here is a bunch of them.

Surplus Center

Surplus Center

Surplus Center

I can direct you to some hyd components if you want.

You can use an electric motor to turn a hyd pump, and using a motor spool valve you can control the speed.

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps
I'm working on this with someone else and we've decided to not use a gear reducer we would rather set up with hydraulics since it would be easier to use a flow valve we are going through northern tool since I already have an account with them instead of using surplus center I just need some one who is experienced with hydraulics so I know how big a reservoir and how big a pump

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #4  
What kind of HP do you figure the motor is developing.

You need to know the HP to figure the the size of the pump.

You could use a small hyd pump. What kind of speed do you need?

If you use a .5 cu in hyd pump at 3000 psi, it will take about 7 HP.

Same pump .5 at 1500 psi will take about 4 HP.

If you use a .5 cu in hyd motor, it will run at 1617 rpm.

If you use a motor spool valve, or flow control valve you can use it to control the flow through the hyd motor at whatever speed you want.

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #5  
Pardon me for butting in.

What is the HP and rated RPM of the electric motor currently in use? Perhaps it is 3450 RPM and someone stuck it on there when the original burnt out. Perhaps the original was a 1725 RPM motor and that would account for the excessive speed.

Going hydraulic will not be cheap.

The cycle duty of the elevator is going to partially dictate the reservoir sizing. It you want to run this elevator non-stop for hours on end then you either have to use a large reservoir or you have to put an oil cooler in place that is fan cooled.

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps
It a 1-1/2 Dayton farm duty electric motor is that to small?

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #7  
It is not too small if it is running the elevator and not overheating.

However, what is the RPM of that motor? That is a key piece of information.

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #9  
The following is not a selection of components for your proposed system. It simply outlines the different components I think you will need, along with the current costs. In no way should it be construed as a comprehensive all-inclusive list. And just so you know, Northern Tool cannot supply you with everything you will need. They dabble in hydraulics but there are far better choices for supply out there.

Cost of hydraulic pump ......... $180.00

Concentric/Haldex High Pressure Hydraulic Gear Pump — .517 Cu. In., Model# G1232C3A300N00 | Hydraulic Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

Hydraulic Reservoir $120.00

Nortrac Steel Hydraulic Oil Tank — 10 Gallon | Hydraulic Tanks Reservoirs| Northern Tool + Equipment

Filtration $25.00

Nortrac Hydraulic Return Filter Assembly — 20 GPM | Hydraulic Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment

Hydraulic motor $208.00

0.45 cu in MGG20020-BA1B3 HYD MOTOR SIDE PORTS

Pump mount $36.00

HYD PUMP MOUNT 56C/145TC MOTOR TO 4F17 FLANGE

Motor control valve with built in relief $154.00

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...4-GPM-PRINCE-WVS11C5C1-MOTOR-VALVE-9-7975.axd

Lovejoy Shaft coupler - 2 required - $70.00 each $140.00

5 HP TEFC single phase C-face footed Baldor motor $863.00

You will also need a base to mount everything on. A weatherproof enclosure. Hydraulic hoses, fittings, 11 gallons of oil, a base to mount the hydraulic motor to and a motor starter for the electric motor.

Additional costs may arise from the need for a 2 pole circuit breaker, 2 pole motor switch and wiring that is heavy enough to feed power to the electric motor. Ongoing costs will be the amount of hydro this setup consumes, oil and filter changes annually.

/ How to figure hydrualic pumps #10  
Have you considered just changing pulley/belt sizes? Most of the elevators I've dealt with just have a couple of pulleys and a belt, if yours is the same you could probably get your speed down enough for about $30-40 instead of spending enough to buy a new elevator... Steve