Tape or Paste fittings

/ Tape or Paste fittings #1  

C4Ranch

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC
What do you do?

I read here that many prefer paste but for the life of me, I seem to have many of them leak when I paste...

/ Tape or Paste fittings #2  
Teflon tape is fine as long as you don't wrap the first couple of threads. Typically the problem with tape is when you take fittings apart and the tape strings get left in the fittings.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #3  
Since this is in the hydraulic forum I presume you mean hydraulic fittings. I use tape all the time on water/air pipe threads.

Many folks believe, quite correctly, that tape can find its way into the pump and filter and really gum up the works. Paste does not do that as it does not have what amounts to the filament threads. I believe that an argument can be made that tape is just fine but if not installed very carefully and more importantly IMO, when the fitting is removed you have to be very careful to not leave any of the remnants so that they can get down into the fluid and find their way to the pump/filter. Not always possible or easy.
The only time I have had paste leak was when the thread had minor damage to it and in a 2800-3000 psi system that needed to be replaced anyway.

Best idea is to not use NPT fittings and the problem goes away. JIC, ORB, ORFS are far superior in just about every way.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #4  
Do not use tape on hydraulic fitting. Any tape loose will plug the filters and get stuck in the valves.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #5  
Lots of threads/arguments on this subject...
This argument can go either way...paste almost always has to allowed to cure before introducing pressure...

most of the issues come from "re-work" i.e., if you remove a taped fitting you have to be careful to get all the old tape out of the threads...but the same goes for paste which can actually be harder to remove without letting some chunks fall deeper into whatever the fitting is on...

Even professional (Goodyear) hydraulic shops use and sell tape (and paste)...

The ultimate argument for not using tape is that there is a story out there where tape was supposedly found to be the cause of an airplane crashing because the hydraulics were clogged by tape...

IMO prudent/judicial use of tape is better than sloppy use of paste...and much easier to re-work...

/ Tape or Paste fittings #6  
I am not sure that any aircraft uses NPT fittings, and therefore no tape required.

In the normal sense of things, only NPT threads use tape with discretion.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #7  
I am not sure that any aircraft uses NPT fittings, and therefore no tape required.

In the normal sense of things, only NPT threads use tape with discretion.

Actually I read about the aircraft issue in another thread here on TBN...

According to many manufacturers Teflon tape is "only a lubricant" and not a sealant...and this makes sense why it works well with NTP...:thumbsup:

/ Tape or Paste fittings #8  
Actually I read about the aircraft issue in another thread here on TBN...

According to many manufacturers Teflon tape is "only a lubricant" and not a sealant...and this makes sense why it works well with NTP...:thumbsup:
I would have some fun with anybody that fed me that line.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #9  
Ah... a brother manufactures specialty valves and pump units for the geothermal industry... he still makes some with threads, only because some customers demand them, but the great majority use simple o-ring press seals. The threaded valves greatly outnumber the o-ringed for leakage issues, although they are only a tiny fraction of the total.

/ Tape or Paste fittings #10  
For me tape is least preferred and Teflon paste is good stuff, but for fewer leaks I use LocTite 242 I believe the number is. The blue stuff. That hardly ever leaks with pipe and I have had no problem getting fittings apart. This is a thread-locker that works great for bolts and nuts so they don't vibrate loose also.

Hydraulic systems use a different number of LockTite from the same company.