2040 john deere lift

/ 2040 john deere lift #1  

greendirt

Tractor
2040 john deere
I have a john deere 2040 with a open center hydtaulic system. All hydraulics stopped working. So far I have split the tractor and verified the trans pump is good, changed fluid with filter and cleaned suction screen. I replaced the main pump. The steering is working fine now. The lift will raise and lower but when in the up position hydraulic pressure does not relieve so I lower the lift. The lift also can not be raised part of the way up or down. It is either all the way up or all the way down.

/ 2040 john deere lift #2  
Where is L/D control never under seat setting? I'd recommend putting it in "D". The RS control valves may be adjusted too tight. You could try turning screw(parts key 9) CCW a little bit. It's also possible cam(parts key 9) &/or spring(parts key 10) is broken(2nd photo).

Attachments

• RP1440_________UN01JAN94.gif
    RP1440_________UN01JAN94.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 619
  • L57040_________UN01JAN94.gif
    L57040_________UN01JAN94.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 541
   / 2040 john deere lift
Where is L/D control never under seat setting? I'd recommend putting it in "D". The RS control valves may be adjusted too tight. You could try turning screw(parts key 9) CCW a little bit. It's also possible cam(parts key 9) &/or spring(parts key 10) is broken(2nd photo).

Tx Jim
I work offshore and won't be home for a couple of weeks. I will make these checks when I get home and let you know the outcome. I have also checked all the pressure safety valves and dump valve and all are in good condition. If you think of any other checks I can do please let me know. I am not sure I know exactly how the dump valve works and how to trouble shot it.
Thanks
greendirt

/ 2040 john deere lift #4  
I'd recommend you get a JD tech manual not an I&T manual for your model tractor if you don't already have one. The open center hyd system on those tractors are UNIQUE. It's been many years since I worked on that type system and I have no access to a TM.

/ 2040 john deere lift
I'd recommend you get a JD tech manual not an I&T manual for your model tractor if you don't already have one. The open center hyd system on those tractors are UNIQUE. It's been many years since I worked on that type system and I have no access to a TM.

Tx Jim
Thanks for the information. When I get home I will get a John Deere manual on the 2040 if I don"t have one. I think I have the I&T and the JD. If there is something I can't figure out I will give you the info out of the JD manual. I buy manuals on all the tractors I have and have learned alot but this 2040 open center has been my biggest challenge. I think there were some of the I hope this works repairs and adjustments made on this tractor before I got it. I know there is a solution to this problem and again I apprecitate your help.
greendirt

/ 2040 john deere lift #6  
I have a john deere 2040 with a open center hydtaulic system. All hydraulics stopped working. So far I have split the tractor and verified the trans pump is good, changed fluid with filter and cleaned suction screen. I replaced the main pump. The steering is working fine now. The lift will raise and lower but when in the up position hydraulic pressure does not relieve so I lower the lift. The lift also can not be raised part of the way up or down. It is either all the way up or all the way down.

I am not understanding about the lift in the up position having pressure.

When you release the FEL lever, you close off the flow to the cyl, there is no pressure on the cyl except for the load of the bucket and or the load in the bucket.

You might check all the QD for correct operation.

Have you put a hyd gage in the hyd system and observed all the valves in operation. A hyd gage will show you pressure when anything is using the flow to produce pressure, and is a god tool for trouble shooting. In neutral on all valves, there should be no or very little pressure indicted

Looking st the FEL spools, does the spool shaft have equal movement when using the lever?

Are all the return ports to tank open.

/ 2040 john deere lift
I am not understanding about the lift in the up position having pressure.

When you release the FEL lever, you close off the flow to the cyl, there is no pressure on the cyl except for the load of the bucket and or the load in the bucket.

You might check all the QD for correct operation.

Have you put a hyd gage in the hyd system and observed all the valves in operation. A hyd gage will show you pressure when anything is using the flow to produce pressure, and is a god tool for trouble shooting. In neutral on all valves, there should be no or very little pressure indicted

Looking st the FEL spools, does the spool shaft have equal movement when using the lever?

Are all the return ports to tank open.

J J
The three point lift on the rear is the lift I am having problems with. Please describe the FEL spool and QD. Again thank you for your information but you are much more experinced than I am since I do this as a hobby. Sorry for needing extra information but I enjoy working on these old tractors but I have learned there is no substitute for experience.
greendirt

/ 2040 john deere lift #8  
You got me there, I thought you were talking about the front end loader and Quick Disconnects.

Forget all that.

/ 2040 john deere lift
You got me there, I thought you were talking about the front end loader and Quick Disconnects.

Forget all that.

J_J
Sorry for misleading you. My terminology is not up to the technical level of a real mechanic, but I do enjoy learning so any information however simple or complicated is appreciated.
greendirt