need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Dropped off my Prince cylinder and I am being told its not repairable. Replacement is in the $450 range ....OUCH!

its a 4 inch case with a 2 inch rod and 24 inch stroke. Its an odd ball cylinder in that it has a welded tee on the case end and a 1 1/8" hole drilled in the rod. I am also being told that Prince does not make this cylinder anymore.

I see that Prince has a welded cylinder that might fit at surplus center (4X24X2 DOUBLE ACTING HYDRAULIC CYLINDER PMC-5624) for $350 plus shipping - still a lot of mooolah but better than $450.

My question is for the 4-5 cords of wood I split a year is there a cheaper solution? I called one Hydraulics place and they recommended a $225 chinese made cylinder with a 4 year warranty. I want a quality cylinder but certainly don't want to over pay for piece of equipment that doesn't make me money.

Thoughts and any other sources with good prices?

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice
Thanks JJ. I know Surplus Center is reputable and has good prices. One thing I have noticed is I can get a Wolverine cylinder (made by Prince) that is a tie rod version for $165 - it is the 4 inch bore, 2 inch rod and 24 inch stroke - same as the welded T version. That's a big difference in cost. Anyone know what the difference besides the price?

4X24X2 DA HYD CYL W400240-S

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #4  
Thanks JJ. I know Surplus Center is reputable and has good prices. One thing I have noticed is I can get a Wolverine cylinder (made by Prince) that is a tie rod version for $165 - it is the 4 inch bore, 2 inch rod and 24 inch stroke - same as the welded T version. That's a big difference in cost. Anyone know what the difference besides the price? 4X24X2 DA HYD CYL W400240-S
Look pretty similar in the specs

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #5  
I buy just about all my hydraulic stuff from Bailey they have several types and brands to choose from.

http://www.baileynet.com

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #6  
Dropped off my Prince cylinder and I am being told its not repairable. Replacement is in the
$450 range ....OUCH!

Did they say why it was not rebuildable? A decent hyd shop can make a whole new rod for you, and it costs less than
a new cylinder. The only way I can imagine it is not being rebuildable is if the bore is ruined by rust or other distortion.

If you do replace the cyl, I suggest the cheaper Chinese unit. I rebuilt one of the Harbor Fright 4.5" splitter cyls, and
it seemed to be made of adequate materials. You can also buy these cyls from HF as replacement parts.

Yes, $450 is a lotta cheese.

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #7  
Lots of places and lots of off-brands that you can find if you just do a google search that sell 4x24 cylinders in the $200 range

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice
They said that the rod was bent and that the key way was unable to be removed (not sure what that means) basically they explained that at $100 per labor it was not economically feasible to repair.

From my research I think the welded cylinder is the way to go because of the application of a log splitter and there being torqueiness with the ram moving along the ibeam. My big question is should I got with an off brand or the prince and be done with it.

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #9  
For durability there is no difference between a welded or tie-rod cylinder on a log splitter. The welded cylinders more compact and are usually less expensive but more difficult to repair. Timberwolf uses tie-rod cylinders.

/ need a new cylinder for my log splitter and need some advice #10  
The "torqueness" you refer to should not be a concern as the twisting movement is not transmitted to the cylinder mounting with any serious force. Buy on price unless you are splitting wood 24 x 7 x 365.
You cant go wrong with JJ's advice.
Dave M7040