Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #11  
I forgot to look at that motor today to find out just what it is. The # I posted I said that was what I though it was with out checking. That # might not even be close, right now all I know is that it's off a broom and was chain drive.

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #12  
So, lets's start from the broom and work back to the front PTO to get the components you need.

What turns the broom? A gear?

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #13  
And you want a hydraulic motor to turn that gear at 540 RPM?

Given the info you gave us, that the brush could be turned by 8hp and that it easily can be turned with a large drill....
And given the pumps and motors formulas at Surplus Center
where 1hp = 1 gpm X 1500psi, and 2gpm @ 1500 psi = 2hp, (linear relationship)
Surplus Center

Lets plug in the numbers.
SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF THIS ISN'T RIGHT! Math is not my strong suit! :)

8hp=8gpm @ 1500psi.

540rpm = 231 x gpm / motor displacement.
540rpm = 231 x 8gpm / motor displacement.
540 = 1848 / motor displacement.
1848 / 540 = motor displacement.
1848 / 540 = 3.42 cubic inch motor

So you need a motor that is 3.42 cubic inches and is rated for 8gpm @ at least 1500psi
and
you need a pump will supply 8gpm @ 1500psi when turned at 2000 rpms (the speed of your front PTO that you want to mount the pump to).

Does that sound correct?

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion
So, lets's start from the broom and work back to the front PTO to get the components you need.

What turns the broom? A gear?

A 48T sprocket chained to a 12T sprocket as shown in the first post. The speed flow backwards would theoretically be 135 on the core bar,540 at the 12T sprocket shaft,then 2160 from the tractor pto.These figures are at WOT of 3600rpm. Basically,the core is driven by two 4:1 reduction drives,one being the gearbox and the other being the chain loop.

BTW,here's a pic of that stacked gearbox that went south on me.It's actually two right angle drives running 2:1 reduction on each box.They're connected by a common shaft so they can swivel with the swivel hitch frame of the broom.The top box has a torque limiter bracket attached to the channel upright where the chains are held to lift/suspend the broom.

Last edited:
   / Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #15  
Good picture! :thumbsup:

So you want to turn that little gear shaft at about 540rpm correct?

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #17  
You know you can run a hyd motor at a 1 : 1 ratio at 540 rpm with the motor on top of the frame and to the inside. Not sticking out the side.

A hyd motor can turn in both directions.

You know you can run a hyd motor at a 1 : 1 ratio at 540 rpm with the motor on top of the frame and to the inside. Not sticking out the side.

A hyd motor can turn in both directions.

That's what I was thinking also,instead of making a bracket and running 2 sprockets and chain.If I fab that myself without welding I'd use two muffler clamps on the pivot bar,a short piece of 4 x 4 angle iron(or larger),drill the appropriate holes in it and use some sort of short coupler.

Yes , I plan on having a reverse feature to run the broom backwards.From what I've read that's a very handy thing to have.Just have to figure out the pump,motor thing first.

I did some reading last nite on hyd/drive tillers,which I would think would use a lot more power to turn than this broom.Several JD garden tractors, similar size wise to my tractor, that use a pump attached under the tractor and fitted to the mower deck PTO 2000rpm drive.No one complained for a lack of power to run the tillers.

/ Need help on rotary broom hydraulic conversion #19  
Have you started pricing all this stuff?
You're looking at $700 if you buy new.

You don't get very much snow down there. Is it worth it VS a plow that you can find for a couple hundred used?

Also, they still got that tree in the tower in town? :)

Have you started pricing all this stuff?
You're looking at $700 if you buy new.

You don't get very much snow down there. Is it worth it VS a plow that you can find for a couple hundred used?

Also, they still got that tree in the tower in town? :)

I wouldn't mind spending the money if I knew it would work properly.Right now I've got 7-800 invested in an attachment that's useless.I'm not going to scrap it or park it in a corner and hope a magic part comes along to fix it. I already have a plow,but I think a broom would work better on the sidewalks(no blade jamming). Yes,that tree is still up there.It gets plenty of water from the spring in the clock....:laughing: