Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    Kubota M5400

Default How old is the hydraulic fluid

I recently bought a kubota M5400 with 1100 hours. Is there a way to tell how old the hydraulic fluid is? I know that I should assume that it needs changing. However it looks clear as glass. I hate to throw it away for nothing. The filters are not new.

Tractor
    T4020 Deluxe

Default Re: How old is the hydraulic fluid

I would check with a Dealer I know that fluid can be analyzed. I Have no idea of the cost though.
    I have never seen used hydraulic fluid look anything but new on a machine even when it is time for a change. Kind of the nature of the use. I guess if you had a serious problem like water or air it would show up by looking at it but for just used I doubt very much it will look much different than new.

Tractor
    BX-1860, L3940HSTC, B7500, Farmall M, Farmall 560D

When I buy a used machine I figure to pull a complete PM unless the dealer can prove when it was last serviced. Oil, filters & grease are cheap compared to repairs.

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

My experience with hydraulic fluid is that it always looks clean. Don't take a chance on it. Change it unless you have documents stating it was changed at such and such a time.

just my opinion.

murph

Tractor
    BX2200, '52 8N

Blackstone Labs does oil analysis. You can send them an oil sample from your engine as well. Their tests will let you know if there are any internal problems or possible concerns. Well worth the $20 bucks. As for the hydraulic fluid I'd probably just change it and the filter just so YOU know what's in it and when it was last changed for sure.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The fact that the filters are old would be reason enough for me to change the oil. You have no idea whether the previous owner went cheap and put straight hydraulic jack oil in ( clear ) or paid twice as much for the correct universal transdraulic oil... much of which is light honey colored...

Get rid of the old filters... I'll bet the filters cost more than a 5 gallon pail of oil anyway.... They do on my NH.

Soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

It makes great bar oil for a chainsaw. So in a sense your would be recycling it.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

I've been usin' recycled vegtable oil on my chainsaw, figurin' it'll break down in the enviornment. Don't cost nothin' either. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've been usin' recycled vegtable oil on my chainsaw )</font>
    ...so when you're out there cuttin' firewood, does your chainsaw smell like french fries when it gets hot? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    all makes and models

If it doesn't look milky then it probably is fine to use. I would pick a time when the weather is consistant and condisation would not be a consideration and change it and filters then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast