L3800 case drain line

/ L3800 case drain line #1  

Fieldguy

Tractor
Jd 4100, kubota l3800, m5100
I have a walk behind trencher that we are converting to mount on a tractor. My question is if the current trencher hydraulic motor has a case drain, then where is the best place to route that line to the tractor. I know that it can not be routed to the outflow line. Any help would be appreciated.

/ L3800 case drain line
Attached is a picture of the hydraulic motor used to run the chain. The single hose is the case drain for the pump. image.jpg

/ L3800 case drain line #3  
First I would try the trencher out by digging a trench to see if you have enough hydraulic capacity to do the job. Temporarily you could just run the hose back into the transmission fill hole and that would get you by. (Close the hole up with a rag to keep the dirt out.) If you can't find a hole in the transmission case to drain back into you could always buy another transmission fill cap and modify it to run a drain hose into.

I just reread your 1st post and am thinking that the tractor probably has enough hydraulic capacity to run a walk behind trencher. If you tell us which model of trencher and tractor JJ can probably tell you more about this than I can.

/ L3800 case drain line #4  
The case drain should go back to the reservoir/sump unimpeded.

Maybe through a modified fill cap.

Just about any hyd flow will work. GPM's dictate speed of operation.

Last edited:
   / L3800 case drain line #5  
If you don't ever plan to install the factory remote valve kit, you can use the return port on the right side of the rear transmission case. It's covered by a blank plate that is a triangular shape, rounded (if I remember right). You could probably machine up a block that bolts over the holes, and then put a quick disconnect on the block.

Might be easier to just rig up something that takes place of the fill cap though. The return line won't see any back pressure feeding into the reservoir, so it shouldn't need a super tight fit.

/ L3800 case drain line #6  
If the drain line QD ever comes off, you will blow the motor seals.

/ L3800 case drain line
We would like to mount it mostly to our john deere 4100 hydrostatic tranny.

The trencher is an older Barreto 1624d walk behind.

The walk behinds just don't work well in my company. This is not a production machine, but a can you do these things and trench a little ditch while you are there. The guys don't like to use them, and they are kind of a pain in the butt to move on our trailers.

The motor on this particular walk behind has been giving us trouble, and our mechanic says it's time to let her go. So, we can strip this for parts, or maybe repurpose the business end of this bad boy. Attachments are easy for us to move around and something about a tractor seat makes trenching less of a chore for the guys.

/ L3800 case drain line
We had originally wanted to put it on the kubotas, but I think a hydrostatic tranny would be best. Unfortunately this limits us to a john deere. I hope this works out well. My john deere fill cap is between my legs on the top of the tranny. It should be easy to fab a 90 out of black pipe and run a quick coupler to a line running to the rear. Then just put three quick couplers on the bad boy and away we go.

If I blow a hose will it shell the motor seals though. These motors are no cheap for this thing. Can I just replace it with a low speed high torque motor without a case drain if it blows?