Log Splitter Wont Split

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #1  

show75

Tractor
farmall super c
Hi I have an older log splitter my fater in law and his dad owned. I just put a new speeco 11 gpm 2 stage pump on and it will not make pressure and split wood. it has a 6hp eng. I did send the pump back thinking its faulty. I have a gauge put on between the pump and valve. looking for sugetions and or ideals how to adjust. It did bog down the engine and want to stall it out then I adjusted on the valve relief screw.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #2  
Could be the seals in the cylinder letting the fuild flow past them.Check for places in your area that repairs hydraulic cylinders they should be able to test it for you.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #3  
Could be the relief valve is stuck slightly open. That happened on my tractor once.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #4  
Do you have the hoses connected correctly?

If you bogged the engine down, then the valve or cyl has some resistance.

What pressure did you see?

What is the relief valve pressure.

That pump only requires about 5 HP, so the relief valve should have sent the over pressure to tank.

Using an older engine, you might not be getting the full 6 HP out of the engine.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split
J.J.

Yes. The large hose 3/4 from Barb fitting from filter to tank. 1/2 from pump to valve.

What pressure did you see?

it bounced around a lot and never really went above 200 to 400 probably.

What is the relief valve pressure.

not sure. i have adjusted on the screw

That pump only requires about 5 HP, so the relief valve should have sent the over pressure to tank.

Using an older engine, you might not be getting the full 6 HP out of the engine.

i have been told that i may need to make adjustments on the pump itself. i did not do any of that with the pump i had. the cylinder moves in and out nicely. it will split a small 4"-6" log. but those my 5 year old can split. when i got it it split maybe 3 rick ok then would not work most of time and every now and then would work. so i stopped using. A farmer buddy looked at it and said pump was week by taking hose that feeds the valve off and holding it in a bucket. So i replaced the pump and first time it bogged down and killed the engine. So someone mentioned adjusting the relief valve screw. I did. i can keep it from killing engine but wont split. so i put a gauge on it that goes to 13K or 14K PSI. it barely leaves the needle resting spot. The needle does a lot of jumping though.

BTW i did put new hydraulic fluid and filter on before new pump.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #7  
Something is wrong here as you can not get that kind of pressure from that pump. 3000 psi max.

Do you have any pictures of the log splitter showing the pump , hoses and valve?

You probably have a bad cyl.

Something is wrong here as you can not get that kind of pressure from that pump. 3000 psi max.

Do you have any pictures of the log splitter showing the pump , hoses and valve?

You probably have a bad cyl.

That is just the Gage size i had and used.

i will get some picks. the pump is currently on its way back to exchange. Was limited on time to exchange.

how would i verify bad cyl. I hate trowing parts. I herd cyl can be rebuild easily.

and...it never did get to the second stage of the pump.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #9  
My guess is you adjusted the relief too far. How many turns did you adjust it? Cause you went from making enough pressure to stall, now to only making ~400psi and the only thing you messed with was the relief. Thats where I would start.

When you get the new pump, hook your gauge back up. Extend the cylinder all the way til it stops. Hold the valve to continue trying to extend it. Adjust the relief to get 2500-3000psi or whatever spec you want.

/ Log Splitter Wont Split #10  
If it bogged the engine down it probably went into high pressure, and low GPM.

The shift over point is about 700 to 800 psi.

Did you turn the relief screw in or out?