Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested?

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Hello. I would like to add rear remotes, mostly for 'TnT' use, and would like to hear ideas for what types of spools/ valves to add. I only know enough to get me in trouble... I assume all would be/should be double acting? I plan/would like to add three sets, two for TnT, and one 'extra'.

Should the first two pairs have the floating feature? (Would much rather spend a few extra $, than forever more say "I wish I had....")

Should the 3rd set have "three position mechanical detent? Question on how that operates; With the 3 position detent spool; say I am using it to angle a power angle rear blade/rake, can/could I go from center detent (off/ hold position?) to say the left detent, allow the blade to move to the desired position (but not the cylinder's max travel), and then bump/push the level back to the center position, would the blade/rake then be held in its current position?

The tractor has a power beyond 'loop' one hose with a fixed/non-removing end and a quick coupler/receiver on the other end. Pump/type is open center and rated flow (at power beyond) is 16.x gpm at 3000psi, so do I need an 'open center valve with inlet relief', or 'an open center valve with inlet relief and power beyond'? Not sure I understand the difference since an open center system has to have a main inlet and a main outlet right?

Any good reason to even consider a motor type spool?

What is the feedback feel like on say the prince brand level control valves?

Thank you to all who help, and may everyone have a safe and happy new year!

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #2  
Prince valves are rated very good.

IF your machine is open center, then you need open center valves with PB.

Yes to the float and 3 way detent.

Go here and select your options for the stacked valve.

Surplus Center

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #3  
Open center valves are used with constant displacement pumps. The valve's center is "open" ... which allows flow to return to the tank when the valve is not being utilized to control a device via the valve's work ports.

Power beyond allows the hydraulic flow to be routed from your rear remote valve to another control valve downstream ... on my tractor the power beyond flow from my rear remotes feeds the valve that controls the raising and lowering of the three point hitch.

A control valve with power beyond will have two outlets, aside from the work ports:

A. The power beyond outlet.

B. A return to the tractor's hydraulic reservoir.

I have a three section Prince "SV" series stack valve ... all three sections are "spring-to-center" (no detents, no motor control) ... I think the feel on it is just fine (capable of relatively fine metering) for what it is ...

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #4  
Yes to all 3 - 2 floats and 1 dented for constant flow. Better to have them and not use than wish for them them later. The detented valve will have a "sweet spot" where oil will flow before it locks in detent. If you find the detent is difficult to use you can always take the end cap off and remove the small balls form it, store them somewhere for use later if needed, then put the cap back on. Valve will then be same as 3 way spring return to center.

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #5  
You said: Any good reason to even consider a motor type spool?

As far as motor spool valves, a low speed hyd motor can be controlled with a spring center valve or a three position detent valve. The problem, is shutting off a hyd motor with a lot of inertia. What you do is to gently release the lever to slow the motor, or use a double relief valve.

3/4 NPT 30 GPM 1500-3000 PSI HYD CUSHION VALVE

If you do use a dedicated high inertia hyd motor unit such as a hyd bush hog, you can get a motor spool valve in a stacked valve assembly.

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested?
Hello. Thanks to all who have replied with input. After much time spent trying to figure out what control valves will fit, and which ones 'hit' something (because this is a tlb, much less room is available compared to a 'normal' tractor), I believe I will be down to a two spool loader control valve made by brand hydraulics. I did learn that I do not actually need the P/B option, and that Max flow is reduced with the 'hoe is not attached, as flow from one of the three pumps is routed differently. But my current question is, Is there any benefit/ use to having a regeneration spool/option on a rear aux port?

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #7  
You only need the PB option when feeding another valve, otherwise, leave the plug in the PB port and both pump and cyl/motor will flow through the OUT port.

If you want fast action on a cyl, then the regen is useful.

It also improves the flow with a heavy load.

The flow rate to the cyl is almost doubled, but less force is generated.

/ Adding rear remotes, what type of spool valves are suggested? #8  
If I may give you one word of advice.
Your spool valve should match your Hydraulic pump output.
So if your main pump will give you 10GPM, then you valve should be rated at a minimum of 10GPM, but the maximum sould not be that much higher, like for instance 12 to 14GPM. Prince has two choices close to this range, I beleive. If your output is about 9GPM, I think you will easily get what you need.
"Float"or "Motor" on one spool is a good thing to have in my opinion. Especially if you plan on running a small wood splitter, or fertilizer/lime spreader.