Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video

/ Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video #1  

Rford

Gold Member
Tractor
1966 Ford 2000 Diesel 8sp
http://youtu.be/O4O8f_MwfB0

My log splitter (used but new to me) is acting just like this one on You Tube. MTD 25 Ton. I posted this over on the "built it" forum with more information and although I've had a 100 lookers no one's responded with any ideas. Bottom line, is this normal log splitter operation or is something wrong? I can guess that its the pump, the valve, filter, etc., but I'm no expert so I'm looking for someone who is. I've changed the filter, its fuel of oil, engine runs fine, and the ram works perfect under no load situations and splits small rounds without much hesitation. If there is a way to test the pump with a gauge, where, exactly, does one hook it up and what does one look for? I've done some pretty extensive web searches and found some pretty generic statements but nothing that's really helped so far. And maybe this is perfectly normal for a low end splitter.

Thanks in advance.

/ Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video #2  
To check the log splitter valve relief pressure, you need a 3000 psi hyd gauge and a tee in the IN port of the log splitter valve.

Then fully extend the cyl until you read the highest pressure the pump can provide.

However, you could have worn cyl seals, leaking spool valve, wrong fluid, bad filter, etc.

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video
Thanks sir, I was hoping you'd reply. I've run across many of your good and informative answers in researching this issue and hoped you'd see my post. I assume that you watched the video and concluded that the delay is not "just the way these things work." Also, I've had a few guys say this is a single stage pump so don't be surprised, but I don't believe that's correct from what I've read. I believe its a two stage pump and as you suggest there is something causing a low, or slow, pressure build-up in the second stage.

I did see a fancy ($1200) MTD hydraulic system tester with a gauge, flow meter, and hose connections, but since that was 2x my cost of the unit I passed. I think I can figure out the connections and tee in a gauge easy enough and that would tell me top pressure off the pump. I may drain the system first and refill it, although the fluid looked clean enough when I topped it off, I don't know its history, and I added proper fluid, but it might not have been the same exact type as what was in it. I did change the filter b/c it looked original. The machine doesn't look very used, abused, or very old. It has a B&S engine, not the new brand of engines MTD is using, so I'm guessing its an early to mid 2000s unit.

I've split a good number of rounds already with it and will finish up with the rest and then see what I can figure out.

Thanks again for your reply.

/ Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video #4  
Actually, the video shows what a two stage pump should do.

Moves quickly up to the log and when the pressure gets to about 700 to 900 psi, the pump shifts to low GPM and high pressure.

A $12 gauge and tee and will tell you the story.

The number on the pump should ID the pump.

Maybe this will help someone with a similar problem. I made a trip to the farm to split a little wood and figure out what I needed to hook up a gauge. With a little more knowledge, I noticed some things:

1. The valve stops when the valve lever is fully extended. In my first post, I noted that if you moved the lever sometimes it would help. Actually, the ram only moves forward if you have it backed off about about an inch otherwise it stops. So that was causing about 95% of the issues. If I pull the lever almost all the way it seems to work just fine. The lever itself actually has a bit more bend in it than I think is normal and I'm guessing someone thought putting more pressure on it was a possible solution and bent it a bit out of frustration. Just a guess.

2. The rear of the valve has a cover with two hex screws. It leaks fluid--not much, just a little seepage but I've read that leaks or oil or sucking air causes problems. I've read how to fix that, but probably won't.

3. There is teflon tape on the valve fittings.The MTD shop manual I downloaded repeatedly states do not use teflon tape so I'm guessing they don't from the factory and the tape is evidence that someone has had this apart trying to fix this issue.

4. The valve is marked on the end as follows: "Energy 19693C 3804V".

I may still put together a tee with a gauge but will probably do the testing in conjunction with replacing that valve which I'm pretty sure is causing all my issues. But since its working, I'm going to hold off until I'm done with my chores. With my luck I'll replace the valve and it will never run again.

I'll post a follow-up if I replace the valve.

Well, I'm back. Been splitting right along with my MTD 25 Ton splitter with the funky valve. I'll end up replacing it eventually just because I want to see if it works a lot better with a new valve. And I'll add a in-line gauge at the same time. Here's my question -- What valve should I get - I've seen them from $49 for the Speeco, $79 for a NorTrac; $89-119 Prince; or $99 for Energy. All appear to be about the same specs and would fit. I've found posts dissing all and good posts about all. Haven't found anyone comparing them, so I'm thinking there's probably not much difference. Is there really any difference?

Thanks in advance

/ Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video #8  
Here are a few.

Surplus Center

Do you need log lift or wedge adjust?

Do you need auto valve?

/ Log Splitter Hangs Up Beore Splitting with video #9  
For splitters with the control valve mounted directly to the cylinder the Speeco or Energy style work best due to port configuration. When the valve is located separate from the cylinder I prefer the Prince valve.

Here are a few.

Surplus Center

Do you need log lift or wedge adjust?

Do you need auto valve?

Nothing fancy, just a replacement for the MTD 25 ton valve -- probably an "auto" valve b/c I want it to kick out upon return. It does attach to the cylinder and the working ports are 2 1/2 inches apart and every company makes a direct fit type replacement. I just don't know if "you get what you pay for" and whether its worth spending $50 more for Prince vs. a Speeco. I'm not a big user of the machine.