Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability?

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #1  

jekyl

Tractor
1988 John Deere 750
Hello Folks,

New to the forum and thanks for your help in advance. I just bought my first tractor. It is a used John Deere 750, 20hp class compact tractor. I am just curious about the hydraulics on any tractor of age like this one. Can a tractor lose it's lifting ability due to age and use? If so, is it able to be returned to it's original rating?

Also, whats the rule of thumb when matching up my tractor to any attachment I may want to use. I am interested in a post hole digger, rototiller and a brush hog.

Any Advice you have I will take. Thanks folks.

Jim

Tractor data:
1988 JD 750
20hp
Model 67 loader

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #2  
Is it just the loader not working and the three point hitch goes up and down (and works fine)? Pretty much everything on a tractor can be rebuilt to work.

As for attachments, you are Category 1 three point hitch, for a mower, normal thinking is 5 hp / foot of mower, so 4 foot should be good for you.

Last edited:
   / Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #3  
First I would install a hyd gauge in a tee in the IN port of the loader valve, and use it to troubleshoot and monitor the hyd system.

You are looking for a relief pressure of 2030 psi.

Check all your filters, external filter, sump filter.

Fill hyd tank to level mark.

Last edited:
   / Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #4  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama. Hydraulics can be something real simple too a very expensive problem. Lets hope yours is simple.

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #5  
It's not age, it's use that wears parts.

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #7  
Yea! That is what he want to know. (I am just curious about the hydraulics on any tractor of age like this one. Can a tractor lose it's lifting ability due to age and use?)

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #8  
jekyl , As far as making things like original, the answer is yes.

If you rebuild or replace things like pumps, valves, cyl, and seals, you can restore everything back as good as original.

You can scrounge up parts, purchase new parts, use third party venders. make your own parts, etc.

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #9  
As stated in the previous responses , tractor hydraulic systems wear out over time with use, There is so many factors

contributing to the amount of wear , that my friend is where the question lies, Normal use vs, extreme constant use,

Diligent and comprehensive service vs, start it up and run it fix it when broke, where and how equipment is stored,

Yes everything can be renewed , But a little history of the equipments working life is very valuable ie; service records etc,

Are you contemplating a tractor purchase ??? There is some great people on here with lots of "earned knowledge" to help

guide you

Good Luck

/ Can a tractor lose it's hydraulic lifting ability? #10  
I am just curious about the hydraulics on any tractor of age like this one.
Can a tractor lose it's lifting ability due to age and use?
If so, is it able to be returned to it's original rating?
Not many answering the question(2) as asked.
Can it lose lift? Yes
Can it be fixed? Yes

Has either of those happened is what we are all wondering. Until you compare current performance to factory specs, you won't know if it has degraded over time or miraculously gotten better.

JJ's advice to put in a gauge is your best starting point to find out whether you need to wonder about it at all.