Cylinder specifications

/ Cylinder specifications #1  

xrsrfn

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XU5065PS
If you are going to specify a bore size and X stroke Y cylinder length with 1" pins is pretty much anybodys cylinder going to be the same in travel and within a fraction of the closed length to each other? I understand pressure is another component but i am specifying that pressures are the same.

I am trying to parse through all the available cylinders and it looks like most are pretty close to the same extended and retracted.

Also what is the reason I would want to spend the extra money on ASAE plus it looks like they are typically longer in closed and stroke for a given size. Are they more dependable built better or just built to the same specification?

/ Cylinder specifications #2  
Extended length is just retracted length + stroke.

For similar cylinder construction, the measurments will be VERY close between MFG's.

But that is for same type cylinders. A tie-rod with yokes is gonna be different than welded with crosstubes even if stroke length is the same.

IF you need more specifics, most cylinders (or companies that sell them) will have all the detailed specs. I like baileynet.com for hydraulic cylinders.

/ Cylinder specifications #3  
Also what is the reason I would want to spend the extra money on ASAE plus it looks like they are typically longer in closed and stroke for a given size. Are they more dependable built better or just built to the same specification?

ASAE doesnt make the cylinder any better. They are just built to specific dimensions so ANY MFG that says their cylinder is ASAE will have the same dimensions and are interchangeable. Thats it.

Non-asae cylinders can be whatever. OAL depends on pressure rating (how thick the ends have to be), piston design and length, rod seal style, mounting type (yokes, clevis, hole-thru-rod, threaded rod, nothing at all, etc.)

But like I said, similar cylinders from a different MFG are gonna be real close. IE: A 2500PSI welded cylinder with crosstube ends from MFG A is gonna be really close to MFG B. IF you need something precise, best to get detailed specs or go with an ASAE

/ Cylinder specifications #4  
What sorta screwed me on replacing the cylinders on my FEL was the orientation of the fittings. Didn't even realize it until I went to hook up the lines, found they were on the wrong side of the cylinder by 90 deg....

/ Cylinder specifications #6  
What sorta screwed me on replacing the cylinders on my FEL was the orientation of the fittings. Didn't even realize it until I went to hook up the lines, found they were on the wrong side of the cylinder by 90 deg....

Some cyl have two ports and on some cyl you can rotate the end cap.

/ Cylinder specifications
Are you looking for cylinders for your rear blade?

I was trying to understand differences between cylinders of different manufactures. There seems to be no "spec" other than ASAE that all manufactures comply to, my concern was variability of quality control as well as materials. Prices seem all over the place but dont know that the higher price means better quality. Just alot of grey area that you have to look at to make a decision on who is the better manufacture with the best deal.

/ Cylinder specifications #8  
I was trying to understand differences between cylinders of different manufactures. There seems to be no "spec" other than ASAE that all manufactures comply to, my concern was variability of quality control as well as materials. Prices seem all over the place but dont know that the higher price means better quality. Just alot of grey area that you have to look at to make a decision on who is the better manufacture with the best deal.

If the cylinders are not very good, the guys are going to go out of business sooner than later. Is there a quality difference, you bet. Is that difference going to make a difference as far as anything that we as a home owner-user-non commercial use might be using them for, I doubt it.

/ Cylinder specifications #9  
If the cylinders are not very good, the guys are going to go out of business sooner than later. Is there a quality difference, you bet. Is that difference going to make a difference as far as anything that we as a home owner-user-non commercial use might be using them for, I doubt it.

For those wondering...
The differences are in the machining and materials mostly... some in design. Cheap cylinder are not as concentric on the cylinder ID nor the piston OD (the part that moves and holds the seal). They are also not finished as smoothly having a rougher seal surface. These things lead to more fluid bypassing the seals. Think about this; your bucket and arms may weigh 600ish pounds and the pair of 2" cylinders have 6 (ish) square inches of area so when the arms drop they are allowing fluid at 100 psi (roughly) to escape. Imagine how much fluid is escaping when operating at 2000+ psi. That escaping fluid reduces your lift max and increases your lift time. Not a huge amount, maybe 5%...more or less depending on leakage. No big deal... except when you think about flowing fluids eroding the seal and the walls of the cylinder.

We as small fry non-commercial operators put up with it, but we are impacted by it and many may not even realise it. So, when your bucket starts drifting down you may want to replace the $10 packing before the $200 cylinder is damaged. Just a thought.

/ Cylinder specifications #10  
So, when your bucket starts drifting down you may want to replace the $10 packing before the $200 cylinder is damaged. Just a thought.

Piston seals (even in a cheap cylinder) dont allow the loader to drift down. Loader drift is caused by a leaking valve, or external oil leak.