Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #1  

Porchfan

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota B2650 HSD, 2020 BX2380, JD LX-277 lawn tractor 2000
Hey Everyone.
I recently had a 3rd function remote added to my B2650. I want to replace the capped ends of the lines at the bracket the dealer put on with a couple QA couplers in place of the caps.
The dealer (or kit) put/had female to female nipple/adapter at the bracket on each line that is two different sizes. The end towards the valve is a bigger size then the capped end size. The valve side of the nipple is ~0.75. The implement end of the nipple is ~ 0.675.

QUESTIONS:
(1) What's the deal with that?
(2) What size QA coupler do I get on the implement end. I think I'll go with male QA ends.

Here are pics of both measurements
IMG_1576.jpg
IMG_1577.jpg

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #2  
Thats just an adapter fitting.

Looks like a NPT to JIC bulkhead fitting. 3/8" NPT to 1/2 (-08) JIC fitting

Male Pipe (NPTF) x SAE 37° Flare (JIC) Bulkhead

You need fittings with 3/8 NPT to connect onto where the cap is.

And it appears they used teflon tape. Get rid of that and use a sealant or paste

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #3  
Before you install MALE ends, do a little checking. I am no expert, but virtually all the remotes I have seen had female couplers. 3/8" hydraulic lines are likely the size of most implements you would use with that tractor.

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #5  
Are you talking about using a coupler in place of a cap? Won't that leave the line open? Maybe I misunderstand you?
Jim

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #6  
   / Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #7  
Thats just an adapter fitting.

Looks like a NPT to JIC bulkhead fitting. 3/8" NPT to 1/2 (-08) JIC fitting

Male Pipe (NPTF) x SAE 37° Flare (JIC) Bulkhead

You need fittings with 3/8 NPT to connect onto where the cap is.

And it appears they used teflon tape. Get rid of that and use a sealant or paste

:thumbsup::thumbsup: (All 10 :)) Use one male & one female on the bracket, and one of each on the hoses, so they'll go together correctly every time you connect.

M and F Q-D couplers will seal when disconnected. (as best they can)

There seems to be 'micro-beads' in everything from toothpaste to laundry detergent these days. If there are any in your Teflon pipe dope they'll likely end up in your hydro filter. A worked-loose scrap of Teflon tape will as likely find a more troublesome place to go to.

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #8  
I have, and often see, a pair of female couplers, so that no matter what you are hooking up, you can get the flow path you want. But in a perfect world, the male and female would also be fine. Leaking shouldn't be an issue.

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #9  

Why would you need any sealant of any kind on a hydraulic fitting? Is that due to some flaw in the NPT threads? We use BSP,JIC,ORFS and Metric fitting and none of them require any extra sealing.

I have, and often see, a pair of female couplers, so that no matter what you are hooking up, you can get the flow path you want. But in a perfect world, the male and female would also be fine.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought on this; most Ag equipment have all 1/2" female couplings on the tractor and male on the implements. This is also how the factory rear remotes are delivered on (newer?) Kubotas. But a lot of CUTs have 3/8" couplings and most of those seem to use the one male/one female principle for each circuit. At least thats how all my Kubotas has been delivered, a 20-year model span.

I have decided to use the first method in the rear and the second for everything up front. That way I can borrow 3pt equipment from farmers around me, and still stay "CUT standard" for FEL and front mount equipment.

/Marcus

/ Hydraulic QA Coupler Sizing Questions #10  
Npt requires sealant. Jic and o-ring fittings do not.