Lift more weight.

/ Lift more weight. #1  

NueDemShlak

Tractor
1947 Ford 8N
Like to say hi, I'm new to this site! What I'm about to say might make people mad, but I'm going to say it because it would be nice. I got a '47 8N off my uncle a few months back and the motor was rebuilt like 5 years before. I switched it over to a 12 volt system with stuff I had laying around, rebuilt the pto shaft seal because it leaked like a dog, but what I hate, is the fact it can only lift enough weight with a set of forks that barely make the wheels light. To me, that tractor should lift as much as common sense and bravery would allow, there's a reason they make tractor weights. It was lucky to lift my empty tool box I brought home. I read that these things can lift enough to get the wheels light, but I think it ought to lift more than that. I don't care if I have to get stronger arms for it and somehow connect them to an auxiliary ram and bypass the pump and piston in the rear end, I got plenty of tractor weights. I know people will say bla bla bla it's a small tractor, bla bla u can't push it ect ect. Yeah but it has alot of oomph and can pull a ton of weight like nothing, but the 3 point hitch is a joke. I know I can't compare it to my neighbors tractor, it's a jd 5200, it can lift soo much weight that the rear tires will be flat. Obviously there's no need to go that far, but it's nice to know I can lift that much if ever needed. That 8n I got is way too nice to sell, but it just can't lift all the heavy stuff we got. Any ideas how to make it do what I want to do? If i could remove the cylinder and stick a ram in there, so be it, but I don't know how it's built inside. If I can somehow mount it out side, then run a pump off the front and run the fluid through the tranny, that would be just fine.

/ Lift more weight. #3  
The drawbar used to play a larger role on tractors for one, but hydraulic capacity has been like the horsepower wars in vehicles--gone up exponentially for the same size/weight class. It sounds like you have an older gem--one no engineer planned on hanging 1500# or more off. I'd be worried if you got the capacity where you envision, something down the line would fail to successfully bear it. Sorry, but you may be better off selling it and going bigger--those are tremendously popular tractors, and the 12v modification might even be a selling point to some.

/ Lift more weight. #4  
What is the system pressure set at?
Does the 3pt leak down if you leave it raised?

/ Lift more weight.
The drawbar used to play a larger role on tractors for one, but hydraulic capacity has been like the horsepower wars in vehicles--gone up exponentially for the same size/weight class. It sounds like you have an older gem--one no engineer planned on hanging 1500# or more off. I'd be worried if you got the capacity where you envision, something down the line would fail to successfully bear it. Sorry, but you may be better off selling it and going bigger--those are tremendously popular tractors, and the 12v modification might even be a selling point to some.
Yeah it's a heck of a tractor, I couldn't see myself getting rid of it. But with that said, that thing pulls like a brute, but yet that 3 point seems soo weak to me. With the forks on (it's actually a bale fork) it wont lift a 3 row tiller. I find that hard to believe, so to lift it, I can literally grab the top link and pull it higher lol. I saw a few 8n's that could handle a backo attachment, but I can't see how if mine won't raise some of this lighter stuff. Heck my buddy has a small 4x4 jd with a loader, and I mean smaller than my 8n, but it can lift more weight, it's like wtf, how did people farm with these? Mines only good with a snow plow and bushhog. I don't know if it needs rebuilt or what. It seems fine, it takes a long time for it to drop down, and its smooth, well sometimes its "jumpy" when it gots some weight on it. What I'd love to do it attach a forklift thing on the 3 point, and put some heavy tires on it, so the tractor basically pulls it around like a trailer. That'll be a later project when I finish building my 2 vehicles.

/ Lift more weight. #6  
, it's like wtf, how did people farm with these?.

It was better than a horse.

Back then 3ph stuff was still a fairly new concept. And they lifted what they needed.

If you can liftna 5' bushhog, that's about the limit. Both hydraulically and mechanically

/ Lift more weight. #7  
You could add a hydraulic top link and use it with a 3pt pole boom. It will get a lot more than 800lbs off the ground. It also makes top link adjustments on the fly a breeze. If you really wanted to go all out and $$$$ was no object is duel hydraulic lift arms. If you end up doing it, take pictures.

/ Lift more weight. #8  
A hydraulic TL on a 8n isnt gonna do as much good as you would think.

Aside from the issues of getting hydraulic power to it, out on the end of a boom pole, the leverage is gonna really act against the TL cylinder. Enough so that I would bet you would get less lift capacity out if it than out of the 3PH lift unless you went with a really large cylinder.

And even then, while you are forcing the lift with the toplink, it is still putting that weight on the lower 3PH arms and hydraulics, which is ultimately the weak link.

/ Lift more weight. #9  
A 2" cylinder with a 1.125" rod at 1700psi has a retracting force of 3650lbs. The hardest part for him will be holding the front end down and not bending something.

/ Lift more weight. #10  
A 2" cylinder with a 1.125" rod at 1700psi has a retracting force of 3650lbs. The hardest part for him will be holding the front end down and not bending something.

Correct.

But for every foot that cylinder moves, how far does the load on the end of the boom move?

The top link is typically about 16" or so above the lower pins that it will thus rotate about. So if you have a 8' boom pole, for every foot the toplink moves will move the load about 6.4'. (96/16)

So .... do the math. If you have 3650# of force at the toplink, that will only be 570# at the end of the boom.