Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #1  

Jerry1

Bronze Member
I'm making plans and gathering materials to adapt a Boss V snowplow to my JD 1070. I'm going to remove the entire FEL, build a frame to adapt to the Boss carraige and, hopefully, use the tractor existing hydraulics. I don't have any of the Boss original hyd. cylinders, hoses etc. so I'll be buying those parts new.

The 1070 is 40hp, 4wd with turf tires and a heated cab. The FEL has up/down and tilt/curl power. It also has a float mode. The hydraulics are rated at Working pressure - 2250 PSI, pump capacity 8.4 GPM, Type - open center.

The original Boss blade cylinders are a push type, 10" stroke, 1 1/2" rod, max operating pressure 3,000 lbs each side. In a V position the return springs are loose and the cylinders retracted, in scoop position everything is extended until the springs are allowed to pull the blades (or individual blade) back to the V position.

So, my questions are - are my tractor hydraulics sufficient a is? Should I use the same type cylinders and spring system that Boss uses? Someone suggested using double acting cylinders and eliminating the spring return, but what would that involve? And what do I need for a relief valve? One on each circuit, or one for the system?
Finally, can you recommend a web site to buy this stuff? I don't want any Chinese junk.

You can tell I don't know much about this so if anyone has any thoughts or specific recommendations, please help me out. If you could even spec out some cylinders or other things, that would be great.
Thanks for your help,
Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #2  
There is no need IMHO opinion to change out the SA cylinders configuration, your tractor will operate them fine. Can you post a picture so we can see how its setup? As far as a crossover relief valve, we sell one that will work perfectly with the two SA cylinders on the plow, and its made in the USA.

Finding non-Chinese cylinders might be a trick, but I would start at: Bailey International | Mobile Hydraulic Solutions

http://www.baileyhydraulics.com/cyl...at/Hydraulic-Cylinders/type/Snowplow-Cylinder

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.
Thanks Kenny. Ok, maybe I was a little hard on the Chinese trade, but I guess what I meant was cylinders recognized for their quality. I guess junk can be made anywhere. It's encouraging to read your post because that's what I was hoping to do. Where in the circuit does the crossover relief valve go, or will a picture give you enough info to answer my beginner questions? (Now I just have to learn how to get pictures to this site from my Iphone)

Jerry

Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #4  
The CRV (crossover relief valve) goes between the two cylinders, and the valve:
CRV-3 (Medium).JPG

Bailey is well respected in Hydraulics, they will stand behind anything they sell you.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice.
Kenny, if you want to give me ordering info on the crossover relief valve you said you sell, I will order one. Thanks

Jerry

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #7  
Kenny, I have a question for you, I have a JCB with aux hook-up in the front, ( I presume this is for a clam bucket that I don't have ) in the winter I remove the bucket and QA a plow with manual swing, it does have the locations for hydraulic cylinders,....
I would also like to add cylinders and a cross-over but heres my dilemma, My main relief is set at 3200 and my flow is in the area of 15gpm, any ideas would be appreciated.
Would this cross over work for me or is the flow and relief set to low for my application.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #8  
I second the baileys cylinders. They snowplow cylinders are alot cheaper than if sourced though a snowplow parts website, and a ton cheaper than OEM. Those 1.5" x 10" cylinders are about what every plow uses for angle cylinders. But there are some slight differences in where the hydraulic port gets located, and the size of the holes.

Your hydraulics are not going to work as-is. You need another valve. You need to be able to control each wing individually. So on your FEL valve, up and down can be up and down on the plow. Left and right can work for one of the V-wings. But you need a valve to control the other. If you hooked the two hoses of the SA cylinders to the two curl ports, the plow would only act as a straight blade, with no V or no scoop.

I also dont advise the single crossover valve. You will need a separate pressure relief valve that will return to tank for EACH of the angle cylinders. Cause with a V plow, if you are in scoop position and catch something with one of the extended wings, there is no room to dump the fluid into the other cylinder as it is already extended. So it is possible to blow BOTH cylinders and lines if you hit something hard.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #9  
I second the baileys cylinders. They snowplow cylinders are alot cheaper than if sourced though a snowplow parts website, and a ton cheaper than OEM. Those 1.5" x 10" cylinders are about what every plow uses for angle cylinders. But there are some slight differences in where the hydraulic port gets located, and the size of the holes.

Your hydraulics are not going to work as-is. You need another valve. You need to be able to control each wing individually. So on your FEL valve, up and down can be up and down on the plow. Left and right can work for one of the V-wings. But you need a valve to control the other. If you hooked the two hoses of the SA cylinders to the two curl ports, the plow would only act as a straight blade, with no V or no scoop.

I also dont advise the single crossover valve. You will need a separate pressure relief valve that will return to tank for EACH of the angle cylinders. Cause with a V plow, if you are in scoop position and catch something with one of the extended wings, there is no room to dump the fluid into the other cylinder as it is already extended. So it is possible to blow BOTH cylinders and lines if you hit something hard.

/ Adapting a Boss V-plow to JD 1070. Need hydraulic advice. #10  

Great points LD, I did it think the v-plow configuration through enough in my reply above.