Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox....

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox.... #1  

mx842

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301, PowerKing 2414, John Deere 316, Gravely ZT HD 52
I went to an auction last weekend and bought a banged up trencher attachment that works off a skid steer machine. It had been backed over by a big excavator and is in pretty bad shape. At first I thought I could fix it and resell it but now that I have checked it out it will cost more to fix it than it's worth. About the only thing that is worth anything is the hydraulic motor and gearbox. I guess I could sell these two pieces and get my money back but was wondering what else I could use them for. I have a couple projects I'm thinking about building like a stump grinder and a log loader for my wood processor. I need to be able to swing the boom on the log loader and was wondering if I could use this setup for the swing.

Or, I was thinking it may work better as a drive for a stump grinder wheel. It's pretty heavy duty and looks pretty much like the motor setup I saw on a skid steer stump grinder that was at the same auction.

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox.... #2  
If it has a gear box, then the rpm is geared down.

Might be useful as an auger motor which should turn about 50 to 150 rpm.

What is the cu in of the motor.

With that data and your GPM's, you can compute the rpm and if you know the gear ratio you can compute the output rpm.

You might separate the motor and use it for rotating machinery. Saw, or belt drive to whatever. Feed roller. Rotate a log. Push log into the cutter.

If it is fast enough and has enough torque, you might use it on a two bladed bush, or a three bladed finish mower.

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox....
If it has a gear box, then the rpm is geared down.

Might be useful as an auger motor which should turn about 50 to 150 rpm.

What is the cu in of the motor.

With that data and your GPM's, you can compute the rpm and if you know the gear ratio you can compute the output rpm.

You might separate the motor and use it for rotating machinery. Saw, or belt drive to whatever. Feed roller. Rotate a log. Push log into the cutter.

If it is fast enough and has enough torque, you might use it on a two bladed bush, or a three bladed finish mower.

I've looked all over to find out what size motor it is and couldn't figure out anything. I couldn't find out what model it is or who even made it. The motor has a couple numbers on it but I haven't been able to cross them over to anything. There is a symbol or trademark that looks like a backwards R and MP(RMP) There is a single 8 across from these letters and down under that is RSD13966. On the back plate where the work ports are there is 3493 stamped in the center. It has a pretty hefty spline shaft that goes into the gearbox.

I looked at several of the aftermarket attachment builders sites to see if I could match it up with anything but it seems that everybody is real tight lipped about gear box and motor specs. I went back over to the place that held the auction but no one there knew anything either because the stuff they sell comes from everywhere and anybody can bring in stuff to be sold on consignment. One guy in the back said that if the one I bought was the one he was thinking about said he thought it may be a work site pro attachment by JD but couldn't remember what size it was.

That's all I have to go on. If it is a JD trencher they sure don't want anybody to know who made the parts because they won't tell you anything unless you are standing there with a hand full of cash to buy a new one.

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox.... #4  
If it was JD then there is a good chance any numbers you find are proprietary to JD and no one can provide accurate info.

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox....
If it was JD then there is a good chance any numbers you find are proprietary to JD and no one can provide accurate info.

Yeah that's what I thought too. I've done a lot of looking and have come up with nothing. It looks like there would be some way to find out who made these parts, I'm pretty sure they don't manf. this kind of stuff.

/ Question about a hydraulic motor gearbox.... #6  
If you have hyd flow, you can power the pump with know GPM and compute the cu in by the speed obtained on the motor.

If you can turn the gearbox, you can compute the gearbox rpm, and therefore compute the overall rpm.

I have a large direct driven hyd motor on my 4 ft trencher, but Power-Trac removes all ID from their stuff also.