Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there?

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #1  

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
I'm dreaming up a heavy slow speed sickle bar type branch trimmer that would operate like a "hybrid" sickle bar/lopper to keep my roads & trails trimmed back, I have miles of them. I'd like to operate it with a cylinder or cylinder(s) rather than a motor. Is it possible to have it "plumbed" to cycle (extend & retract) automatically? I'm thinking slow speed, blunt brute force would be better than relying on a higher speed/much sharper cutting means for cutting small limbs up to about 1.5".
The unit would be a simple bolt or clamp on to a bucket or brush grapple, driven by the machine's hydraulic's. It would not take much of a stroke, a few inches at most, and (guessing) maybe a stroke per second. I'm hearing this winter might be another long snowy one and this might be a good a winter project.:licking:
Here are a few links "store bought" similar cutters that I'd like to merge. The Alamo unit seem's to be much "beefier" and I favor that one. The other one is not that expensive but I'd rather build one, even though if I count my time it will prolly cost twice as much:laughing:
http://www.alamo-industrial.com/Documents/Literature/52_timbercat.pdf or Eterra Razor 5' Boom Mounted Sickle Mower Attachment for Skid Steer Loader | Skid Steer Solutions

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #2  
Rustyiron,
If you are willing to make the controls electrically operated Vs mechanical this would be a rather easy project. Purchase a cylider with position or end of stroke sensors and use them to cycle the valve.

Mechanical will require some form of linkage to operate the valve to change direction. The valve could be detented in both directions, be lever or plunger operated.

Using pressure sensing controls would be an option if you would be willing to accept the occasional instance where the branch requires more pressure / force than your pressure setting and the shears open/reverse without completeing the cut.

All of these would also probably require a means of manually operating the unit.

NOTE: One of the attachments above uses a motor the other uses a cylinder. Cylinder should be double rod to provide equal force and speed in both directions.

Last edited:
   / Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #4  
Yes, what J_J says - I have one, and use it off the bucket on my loader. Right now I'm making it fit a skid steer QA plate for use on my loader, so I don't have to maneuver with the bucket and sickle bar, (which restricts ease of use).

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #5  
Would a "third function" operate the "cutthat".I like the looks and have a lot of use for something like that.

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #7  
Can't find how much that Samurai costs... any ideas?

OOOPS Newburry beat me to the question

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there? #9  
Would a "third function" operate the "cutthat".I like the looks and have a lot of use for something like that.

Yes, a 3rd function will operate the Samurai.

Cost is around $1470..

/ Any hydraulic eng. designer's out there?
Thanks for the responding! JJ & a few others, I found an old post about the samuri with you guy's discussing it and there was discussion about the gpm & psi that it wanted. Both numbers were extremely low and I'd like to be able use it on either my tractor or skidsteer. The SS puts out 27+ gpm and I would be suprised if didn't put out too much at an idle. I'm sure the pressure's are WAY above their recomendations also. This would really make the rest of the machine operate very slowly and possibly stall while moving both the machine and the loader/bucket. Also my experience with sickle bar cutters is that they are really meant for cutting grass/hay. The Samuri looks like any other (grass cutting) sickle bar, well at least from the web site. Now I need some follow up by Mr Coyote Machine.
Mr C/M, how do you like it and what size (branches) do you usually cut? Are the cutter segments the same as say a NH or any other haybine of sickle bar or are they heavier and how are they (manufacturer) for parts?