Mr

/ Mr #1  

whiterose

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100
Hi Folks.

I'm a new member Sept 2nd 2015.

I have a 20 year old Kubota B 6100 tractor.
There is a leak on one of the hydraulic cylinders on its Dual Loader 145 front loader.
I am wondering if the cylinder can be re-sealed. Or are they welded up and can only be replaced?

If a cylinder is taken off what do I do about the oil in the system?
Will it all leak out? Or not drip out because there is no pressure applied.

A procedure would be most helpful.

Thanks.

D

/ Mr #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I've not taken my cylinders apart, but I'm sure a hydraulic shop could tell you at a glance what it takes to rebuild a cylinder.
I've had a couple occasions to open up my hydraulics for modification and repairs. As you mentioned, there is no pressure. But, if you move a cylinder there will be a corresponding movement of fluid as I observed while dealing with a broken loader hose last winter. Other than that, gravity will determine how much leaks out. Raise the open end of the hose up and secure it. Don't move a thing until the cylinder is replaced and the system closed.
Good luck!

/ Mr #3  
If you could attach a pic of the cylinder near where the rod comes out we could tell.
It is pretty rare that they would weld a cylinder shut. I think that it will be repairable.

/ Mr
Welcome to TBN.
I've not taken my cylinders apart, but I'm sure a hydraulic shop could tell you at a glance what it takes to rebuild a cylinder.
I've had a couple occasions to open up my hydraulics for modification and repairs. As you mentioned, there is no pressure. But, if you move a cylinder there will be a corresponding movement of fluid as I observed while dealing with a broken loader hose last winter. Other than that, gravity will determine how much leaks out. Raise the open end of the hose up and secure it. Don't move a thing until the cylinder is replaced and the system closed.
Good luck!

OK Steve. Thanks your prompt reply.

Reading through more material it looks like there is a repair seal kit available so you was right.
The cylinder is not the tractor's but the Daul lift 145 loader's.

I know so little about the tractor and loader. I can't even locate where the hydraulic filler is! On the tractor anyway and not sure about the loader. Is one system tied to the other and there will be just one fill place?
The lift up the lose end and keep tied up and move nothing makes good sense Steve.

Dennis.

/ Mr
Thanks H your reply. P1010844.jpg

here is a pic- hopefully!

It is a cylinder for lift on the loader.

Dennis

/ Mr #7  
Welcome to TBN. I assume you have an aftermarket loader because the OEM one runs off the hydraulic pump attached to the motor. If you look at your picture you can see a metal covered rectangular block between the cylinder and loader arm (on the frame of the tractor itself). OEM style has a plate that attaches to that block with 2 hoses coming out to go to the loader controller. You'll have to follow your return feed from the FEL hydraulic valve back to whatever holds the fluid. I assume you have a pump either attached to the PTO on the rear or to the front of the engine. A couple zoomed out pictures may help find the reservoir.

/ Mr #8  
KNH has you on the right track.
Do you have a hydrostatic transmission? B6100HST? If so, the hydrostatic pump may also power the hydraulics. Replenish through the oil port which is just to the left of the dipstick. Both of these are on top of the tranny, in front of the seat.
Here's what it looks like on the HST.
hstoil.png

/ Mr #9  
Even if it is not hydrostatic drive, the loader hydraulic's could be plumbed to the tractor 3pt hydraulic lift.

Mounted to the side of the engine, there should be a hydraulic block that can be tapped into to run external hydraulic's like loaders.

Agree, follow the lines to and from the loader valve to determine if there is an external pump or not.

/ Mr
KNH has you on the right track.
Do you have a hydrostatic transmission? B6100HST? If so, the hydrostatic pump may also power the hydraulics. Replenish through the oil port which is just to the left of the dipstick. Both of these are on top of the tranny, in front of the seat.
Here's what it looks like on the HST.
View attachment 439687

Apologies to everyone. I want to reply to all but am getting lost with the system.
Made a reply but could not send pictures.
So will try here.

Looks like there is only one oil filler thatB6100 (1)1.jpgB6100 (2)2.jpgB6100 (3)3.jpgB6100 (4)4.jpgB6100 (5)5.jpgB6100 (6)6.jpgB6100 (7)7.jpgB6100 (8)8.jpgB6100(9)9.jpg is for the transmission but presumably also is the fill for hydraulics. And the separate Woods Dual 145 is on this system too.