Grapple plumbing

/ Grapple plumbing #1  

bitternut

Silver Member
Tractor
2000 John Deere 5210 mfwd, John Deere 350C Crawler
I finally made a decision on which grapple to purchase and it arrived last week. Now comes the task of hooking up the hydraulics. Not as simple as I first thought. There are so many options for fittings that I am really getting confused. Especially when trying to figure out which type is compatible with other types. My valve is a Fasse which is tapped -08 O ring Boss. My loader is a JD 541 and I am tying into the system at the point where my hoses connect to the steel lines. Not sure what the fittings sizes or type are ate this junction. All of my hoses and steel lines are original. Anyone got an idea what JD uses for size and type. The hoses are 3/8". I found a chart that lists all the types of fittings but that is when I got really confused. Never knew that there were that many choices and types.

Is there an easy way to determine what I need. The fittings seem to be quite expensive so I don't really want to purchase more than what I actually need. Also it is a 2 hour ride to get to the job which can be a problem when you don't bring the right tool or fitting. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the grapple as it came off the truck. Very rugged built with some fine looking welding. also very heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    1,013 KB · Views: 180
   / Grapple plumbing #2  
I don't understand the comment about, "I am tying into the system at the point where my hoses connect to the steel lines."

/ Grapple plumbing
I don't understand the comment about, "I am tying into the system at the point where my hoses connect to the steel lines."

I will be breaking the hose to steel line connection of the top two lines. The hose lines will go to the P1 and P2 ports on my Fasse diverter valve. Then two short hoses will go from the diverter valve to the two steel lines and reconnect the primary circuit. Also then two hoses will go from the Fasse valve and connect with the two hoses that came attached to the grapple cylinders.

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpg
    IMG_2765.jpg
    812.3 KB · Views: 208
   / Grapple plumbing #4  
   / Grapple plumbing #5  
You might want to look at Surplus Center online, as well- they have good hydraulic fitting explanations, and if you call them, they have knowledgeable help. Occasionally, you can get a good deal on eBay for couplers, as long as you know what you want.

edit (looked at the link for discount hydraulic hose posted above- it is a great tool!)

/ Grapple plumbing #6  
I used https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/.
Found them to be the best priced, and easy to use website.

The diverter is ORB (not flat-faced; flat-faced is usually super high pressure in my experience (over 6ksi)).
The "-" numbers are in 1/16ths. So a -8 is a 1/2" fitting.
What I did was go from -8 ORB to -6 JIC. Then -6 JIC everywhere.
Often the ports on the diverters are too close together to use a 90 degree ORB to JIC, as you can't spin the second one with the first one in place. Going to JIC alleviates that issue, as the 90 degree JIC hose end swivels for tightening.

Did ANY of that make sense?

Here is mine that I just did a month ago:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/342364-diverter-mounting-5.html

/ Grapple plumbing #7  
i might be completely wrong as im a noobie but wont those lines your connecting to only have pressure when you are functioning the loader its self? seems that if you tied in there you would only be able to function the grapple if you were also functioning which ever side of the loader you tied into.

/ Grapple plumbing #8  
I think of a diverter as a "Y" valve.
loader curl goes to one leg of the "Y".
Depress the button to activate the valve, and loader curl goes to the other leg of the "Y".

So:
joystick left can either curl the bucket up or open the grapple.
joystick right can either curl the bucket down or close the grapple.

/ Grapple plumbing #9  
I think of a diverter as a "Y" valve.
loader curl goes to one leg of the "Y".
Depress the button to activate the valve, and loader curl goes to the other leg of the "Y".

So:
joystick left can either curl the bucket up or open the grapple.
joystick right can either curl the bucket down or close the grapple.

makes a lot more sense now. thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!