Bucket won't curl

/ Bucket won't curl #1  

Waskom John

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2500, diesel
I have the same problem as GPintheMitten. I accidentally hit a 8 inch rotten (?) stump to hard with my Yanmar 2500. It has a Koyker 140 lift with a 4 ft bucket.
I had the 2 spool lift valve ( I guess that is what a 2 leaver control valve is called) resealed thinking that was the problem. Don't like the way it feels now. Lift is too stiff and won't stop when released.
First question is : how hard are they to reseal myself. I am OK with tools but don't like it when things jump out at you or fall out unexpectedly.
Secondly. Switched lines from lift to dump. Still won't dump. Unhooked the bucket to see if the cylinders would retract. No they did not. But now the cylinders won't match up to the hole in the bucket. Latter on today ,unless other wise told not to, I will unhook the dump lines to relieve the pressure and see if I can push the cylinders closed the 1 or 2 inches to line the holes back up. Can lift the bucket by hand but still won't go the 1 or 2 inches.
I found a new lift valve at Dalton Hydraulic Cylinders for $143.65. I can not copy the page as when I go to the site ,it erases my thread on here.
It is a Wolverine MB Directional control valve ,with 8 GPM, number MB21BB5c1.
Will this work if I need a new valve ?
I know the old saying "you get what you pay for " but thanks to our government ,my SS check does not go as far as it use to. As I know most of you already know this.
It is our 2 weeks of fall here in East Texas and I really need my tractor to do some more clearing of my 2 acres.
Thanks for any help,encouragement, chastisement,calling me names or what ever.
Waskom John
P.S. Thanks to you all ,I have learned a lot on hydraulics in the past 2 weeks.

/ Bucket won't curl #2  
Cannot compress a hydraulic cylinder if the fluid has no where to go. That explains why you cannot get things lined up.

You need to either have a second person pull on the lever (with the tractor off) to allow the fluid a place to go, or unhook the cylinders.

HAve no idea what you are talking about "re-sealing" a valve. Only seals are in the caps and only there for local leaks, have nothing to do with how the valve functions.

/ Bucket won't curl
LD 1,
thank you for the come back. Like I said I do not know about tractor hydraulics except what I been picking up on line and here at Tractor by net.
It just cost me $110.00 to have new seals put in my lift valve on my loader. Could I have done it myself and saved $90.or so dollars ? I was scared to take it apart for fear I would end up bringing to a shop in a basket and having them put it back together for me costing an arm and a leg.
Do not have the $289.00 for a new valve.
Now after reading many more threads I find out that it don't sound like I have a bad value. Waiting for a reply about what I could have done when it hit the stump and how to fix that.
Any suggestion ?

/ Bucket won't curl
LD 1,
thank you for the come back. Like I said I do not know about tractor hydraulics except what I been picking up on line and here at Tractor by net.
It just cost me $110.00 to have new seals put in my lift valve on my loader. Could I have done it myself and saved $90.or so dollars ? I was scared to take it apart for fear I would end up bringing to a shop in a basket and having them put it back together for me costing an arm and a leg.
Do not have the $289.00 for a new valve.
Now after reading many more threads I find out that it don't sound like I have a bad value. Waiting for a reply about what I could have done when it hit the stump and how to fix that.
Any suggestion ?

LD 1 ,
just went out and loosened up the curl lines on the lift arm. Pushed the cylinder up about 6 inches then back down to the holes in my bucket. Bucket now hooked back up. Was hoping by pushing it up a little further it might fix the curl but no. As soon as I hit curl it dropped the 2 inches very fast almost slamming down. At least I can drive it now but need the bucket. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
   / Bucket won't curl #5  
No idea what could have happened. Could have bent a rod or broke something else inside the cylinder .

If the loader raises and lowers, but swapping hoses (provided you are doing it correctly) still don't allow any curl/dump means the issue is in the cylinders.

Was the bucket dumped or level when you hit this stump?

/ Bucket won't curl
No idea what could have happened. Could have bent a rod or broke something else inside the cylinder .

If the loader raises and lowers, but swapping hoses (provided you are doing it correctly) still don't allow any curl/dump means the issue is in the cylinders.

Was the bucket dumped or level when you hit this stump?

Bucket was level.Stump is about 4 ' tall ,8 " in diameter, Sweet gum cut 2 years ago. Hit it about 2' up,not hard enough to jar me but a good hit. Figured it wasn't ready so I backed up to load some bush in to the bucket. Bucket started slowly dumping. Straighten it up but started dumping again. Went into full dump and that was it.

/ Bucket won't curl #7  
John. If I understand you correctly you loosened the hose on the cylinder and moved the rod in 6" then back out to hook it to the bucket.
This tells me the cylinder is moving freely. Also, when you moved the rod in two directions you probably sucked air into the cylinder causing the bucket to drop when you tried to operate it.

At this point I would verify the hoses are connected correctly then bleed the system of air. Once you get all the air out I think the FEL will work fine.
It doesn't sound like you hit the stump hard enough to damage the cylinder. The valve should be fine as well.

The only other thing to consider is, is the hyd fluid dirty? I have seen where the fluid is neglected and not change it gets dirty enough to plug the spools in the control valve and preventing the fluid from flowing.

/ Bucket won't curl
I disconnected the lines at the control valve before pushing the cylinders up about 6 inches. After hooking them back up ,I operated the control levers up and down a few times .Every time I tried to curl the bucket ,it put a strain on the tractor and it sounded like a strain on the pump.
Can't work on for a few days. Promised wife I would paint the house and you all know the old saying" if mama's not happy, ain't no one going to be happy".
Please feel free to keep the solutions coming. You all don't know how much I appreciate the help.
Waskom ,John

/ Bucket won't curl #9  
I disconnected the lines at the control valve before pushing the cylinders up about 6 inches. After hooking them back up ,I operated the control levers up and down a few times .Every time I tried to curl the bucket ,it put a strain on the tractor and it sounded like a strain on the pump.
Can't work on for a few days. Promised wife I would paint the house and you all know the old saying" if mama's not happy, ain't no one going to be happy".
Please feel free to keep the solutions coming. You all don't know how much I appreciate the help.
Waskom ,John

This sounds like a restriction. Could a hose be pinched? When was the last time the fluid/filter were changed?

/ Bucket won't curl #10  
I'll go with LD bent rod or piston loose and cocking in the cyl. If piston is loose from rod you should be able to pull the rod right out of the cyl.