Controlling the snow plow blade

/ Controlling the snow plow blade #1  

alia176

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3316HST
Gents,

This is a newbie question so my apologies in advance :eek: For those of you who are plowing with your tractor, are you using the "bucket curl" control for the left/right control on the blade? I'm going to be modifying a typical pickup truck mounted snow plow to my SSQA plate and was curious about the most elegant way to control the blade left/right. I wasn't sure if curling the whole snow plow blade contraption is required in addition to the loader up/down movements.

Thanks.

/ Controlling the snow plow blade #2  
Gents,

This is a newbie question so my apologies in advance :eek: For those of you who are plowing with your tractor, are you using the "bucket curl" control for the left/right control on the blade? I'm going to be modifying a typical pickup truck mounted snow plow to my SSQA plate and was curious about the most elegant way to control the blade left/right. I wasn't sure if curling the whole snow plow blade contraption is required in addition to the loader up/down movements.

Thanks.

It is. The heavier and deeper the snow is, the more angle you will need, especially with the plow that much farther forward on a loader frame as opposed to a direct tractor frame mount. You'd better plan on extra front frame weights, too, if you want to drive straight anywhere.

/ Controlling the snow plow blade #3  
I mounted a truck plow to a SSQA plate and use one of my rear remotes to angle the plow. Just ran a set of hoses to the front with quick connects on each end. I don't use both rear remotes in winter. When I need both rear remotes in summer I can unplug the lines going to the front.

/ Controlling the snow plow blade
Ok, thanks for the explanation, it all makes sense. I'll need to retain the curling function while snow plowing. I'll have to come up with a remote spool, until then it'll be the old fashioned manual turning the blade!

/ Controlling the snow plow blade #5  
I have to disagree. Nearly all truck plows are designed to be run with the a-frame level only, otherwise when you angle one corner will dig in and the other will be up in the air (Western plows pivot somewhat to avoid this). Thus, if set up correctly the curl is completely useless, and should be able to be used for angling. Additionally, to combat the issue zz mentioned of being able to steer, loader mounted plows should still be set up with a chain so the weight of the loader is on the front wheels.

/ Controlling the snow plow blade
Good point JC, the pickup truck plow guys don't have the ability to curl!!