Splitter question

/ Splitter question #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Before I order a tank for my splitter, I want to ask you guys to be sure. My tank will have to mount beneath the pump. Seems someone here before told me the pump WILL pull the fluid up, correct?

If I were to make it so the pump is below the tank, it will cost me a lot more $$$ than I really want to invest in this splitter.

Thanks in advance

/ Splitter question #2  
as long as there are no air leaks on the suction side and you squirt a little hydro fluid into the pump suction before you put the suction line on , it should prime just fine.

/ Splitter question
OK great thanks. I suppose if I ever run into issues I will have to re-position it.

/ Splitter question #4  
don't think it will work, if pump doesn't have suction tube to pull the oil up

/ Splitter question
Hmmm, already ordered it..... I MIGHT have a way in mind to mount it higher. Won't look as good, but function is more important than for at this point, for me.

/ Splitter question #6  
You have a gear pump and in proper working order they will lift just fine. Centrifugal pumps are the ones that you have to prime as with no fluid, they have nothing upon which to build a vacuum and move the fluid. Height depends upon the pump. Obviously to create a vacuum and "suck" you need to be able to create a vacuum.....aka no leaks as bladehauler mentioned.

One thing you can do that will surely help is to put a (sideways) P (trap)in your line preceeding the pump which will retain oil when the pump shuts off and upon restarting it will ensure a solid vacuum to get the fluid flowing.

Other thing is on feed line 1" for a ¾ pump discharge sort of thing.....don't want the pump to have to "beg" for fluid to move. That creates negative pressure (vacuum) and vacuums make bubbles and bubbles make for cavitating pumps which heat fluid and makes it run hot besides reduction in pumping volume. Don't over do it on the inlet size because on the other side, you look at the volume of air in the inlet hose and the smaller the diameter, the less trapped air and faster the pump will load up and pump.

/ Splitter question
Would I use a 1" return line if the fitting threads are only 3/4" or smaller?

By a sideways ptrap, do you mean "partly" sideways? Otherwise I can't see how one level sideways would retain oil, would it not flow out as well?

/ Splitter question #8  
Would I use a 1" return line if the fitting threads are only 3/4" or smaller?
On the splitter I built:

1" suction line feeding the pump (which is above the reservoir)

1/2" pressure lines

Two 3/4" return lines, tee'd together just before the filter (I have two valves: one for the ram and another for the log lift, return line on each)

That's an 11 or 13 gpm Barnes splitter pump, pushing a 4" cylinder with a 24" stroke. Cycle times are very respectable, at around 10 or 11 seconds round trip. No problem with the pump picking up the fluid the 6" or so that it needs to from the reservoir.

You want the return lines larger than the pressure lines to reduce velocity/pressure.

/ Splitter question #9  
What whis was saying is where ever the suction line is pulling from, must be under the level of the oil. IE, bottom of the tank, or have a suction tube.

What's the rest of the details of the build? Motor and pump size? Cylinder size? Horizontal or vertical?

Get the biggest lump the motor will run. That's the speed.

I built mine with a 16.5hp motor and 22gpm pump. And IIRC 1-1/2 suction hose pulling through a strainer, 3/4 pressure lines, and either 1 or 1-1/4/return thru filter. Feeding a 4" cylinder. I like speed.

/ Splitter question
This is pretty much pre built. It has a 5hp Honda, and I posted some data on here (somewhere) what pump it has. I will try to look it up. I think they said it works out to about 18-20 ton.

I might end up re-doing this whole set up. As it is, the exhaust from the motor aims pretty much right at me, but is deflected upwards. Still not ideal. The pump mount is welded on the top beam so that is the only thing that will be an obstacle to a remount. I am thinking this because as it sits, the weight forward is almost more than I can lift, to hook or unhook from a trailer hitch. If I remount everything, I can change the direction of the exhaust, put the fluid at pump level, and put more weight behind the axle to make it easier for me to hook up.

Still thinking the last part over, not sure I will commit to that yet.