Hydraulic Valve Questions

/ Hydraulic Valve Questions #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I am in the planning stage to assemble a new valve array for both front and rear implements. The screwy remote linkage system on the BXs has too many moving parts and I am now after 1200 hours am noticing a lot of slack and hang-ups in responses, due to wear. That whole system is a nightmare, definitely designed to keep dealer shops busy. The new system will replace all that with standard stackable valves and add things like motor spools, top & tilt, FEL w/grapple. Looking at 6-8 spools. BH connections will stay as is except have disconnects on a rack with the other rear outlets.

Now the questions:

1. What is the importance to match valve max GPM to the system GPM, BX is 6-7 GPM and Prince starts at a 12 GPM Nominal/16 GPM Max?

2. Brand has 6 GPM valves; anyone have experience with them? What other brands should I consider.

3. Does a hyd motor require a "motor spool" or will a standard 2 position center detent spool work? Motop use is envisioned as chain saw and winch.

I have welding and some hydraulic experience as being an experienced tubing bender so see no real hiccups on the assembly end.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas and solutions from all you experts, Ron

/ Hydraulic Valve Questions #2  
1. As the mismatch gets large you will degrade the ability to feather the flow. Also realize that valve rating is done at some standard pressure drop, if you run less flow you have less pressure drop and more usable pressure. Also better for motors.
3. Motors powering a large inertial load require a motor spool OR a simple check valve that allows the motor to spool down. Otherwise when you stop the flow the inertia tries to keep the flow going and you end up breaking something. The potentially bad thing with motor spools is that they are of limited use with other actuators as they won't hold in neutral. I would probably stick with a 2 position w/detent and fit a check valve to the motor.
ISZ